Hybrid View

Budicus Guest

Re: Mitsubishi ecodan Heatpump Boiler

Do your heat loss calcs based on 40w/m2, [/quote]

If you were doing you heat loss calcs based on 40w/m2 I would be worried...That would exceed new build regulations by 5w/m2, and that is as rare as hens teeth in a retrofit and very rare in a new build...

Sorry to say it but if you do it on 40w/m2 your heat pump will be too small and your running costs would be much higher than they should be.

Re: Mitsubishi ecodan Heatpump Boiler

Got to agree.

Since I've been on the Altherma training course, I learned that it's now based on 50w/m2.

Thumbs up Re: Mitsubishi ecodan Heatpump Boiler

Quote Originally Posted by Budicus View Post
    Do your heat loss calcs based on 40w/m2,
    If you were doing you heat loss calcs based on 40w/m2 I would be worried...That would exceed new build regulations by 5w/m2, and that is as rare as hens teeth in a retrofit and very rare in a new build...

Sorry to say it but if you do it on 40w/m2 your heat pump will be too small and your running costs would be much higher than they should be.[/quote]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Correct. The latest Daikin advice is based on 50w per m2!!

I have attended both training courses for the Ecodan and Altherma. My username aside the Daikin is a far more versatile product with the slight upper hand on the tried and tested front too!

The other disadvantage to EcoDan is that the outdoor unit is a packaged unit that couples to hot/cold water supply pipes only-no interconnecting refrigeration pipes to indoor unit as with Altherma. Mitsubishi state that a qualified plumber to GNVQ level three or some crap must have commissioned this side of the system. This presents warranty issues etc should us A/C chaps get on board. That personally turned me off the product-not to mention that the indoor/outdoor unit is massive!!

Altherma has cooling options, a dedicated hydro indoor box (size of a compact combi boiler)interconnected via refrigeration copper piping. And the water tanks have solar interconnectivity options (again these are more slimline than the EcoDans water storage).

You must have a safe handling certificate and have attended the Altherma training course to purchase this kit through Daikin I was recently advised!

I'm also fitting my first Altherma system to a 4 bed in Surrey. We're ditching the gas supply there altogether making savings of ££££'s. I shall do my best to keep you posted.