Thread: Flares .....?

Threaded View

Re: Flares .....?

Quote Originally Posted by US Iceman View Post
    Hey Grizzly,

Now I think you are getting into the area frequently called "fugitive emissions". These are areas in the system where leaks are somewhat a fact of life, but we should find a way to mitigate as much as possible.

Valve stem seals are another. Most ammonia valves typically are installed with just hand wheels. On the other hand though, valves are available with seal caps.

Should we write procedures to have the valves with hand wheels "exercised" (manually opened and closed) on a regular basis to keep the valve stem and packing in good shape, or, just let it go?

Or, should we be using seal caps on all valves except those which require regular use for operational considerations?

Isn't this fun??
    US Iceman.
    Fugitive emissions A good term new to me but has possibilities!

While Argus started this thread concerning flares, I think the main issue resulting from this discussion is how to evaluate the different areas within a refrigeration system for leaks based on risk.
    Argus did not state a preferance, as we have strayed somwhat. But the point I would like to make is, following on from what you are saying is! ALL Engineers seem to be fully aware of the short cummings of flare joints. So logically, surely points you make. Re fugitive emmisions are more important than the humble flare joint.
    Or is that the very point you are making?
    thanks Grizzly
    ________
    Rebbecca
    Last edited by Argus; 16-09-2011 at 02:12 AM.