I'm only looking for answers to a few questions. I didn't want to muddy the water by talking about something that I understand. My original compressor failed after it was 19 years old. It was not noisy beforehand. All the motor terminals had continuity to the copper pipes. As expected a new filter/drier was installed. A 'quickchek' did not show any sign of acid.

I am a 'newbie' to y'all, but it does seem that most of you want to troubleshoot my failures instead of providing answers to what should be relatively simple questions for engineers & other concerned professionals to answer.

How long to leave a scroll vertical, before powering on, to prevent pumpout of 'pure' liquid oil? I have found that Copeland does expect a new compressor to be rejected if it was shipped in a non-vertical position, so maybe this should make you wonder why?

I have also been told that it is expected that only about .5% of the oil, related to refrigerant flow should be out of the compressor. Not being an engineer this is hard to get a grip on what it means in real terms, but it does seem that a large quantity of oil is not expected to be out of the compressor.

Also, from the way the filter appears to be made, maybe it passes oil in droplet/mist form just fine, but how does it handle oil in liquid form? Do any of you really know?

As for Gary, no amount of defensive talk will change my view of him. If he bent over, then looked up, he might get a better view of how he came across with his flippant answer.

My questions were prompted by my equipment failure, but they only relate to 'oil' issues in general. I still believe that this is a problem that has been hidden because you simply can't see the 'oil' that might be there due to mishandling.

Most of you seem to minimize my questions, but since none of you can provide a truly supportable opinion, I do not yet believe they are not important to consider. One of the posts does show that immediate damage can occur due to oil in the top of the scroll at initial startup. Since damage did occur (even in testing) wouldn't you like to know how to properly minimize any liquid oil from being ejected at initial startup?