leak testing question

Hi chaps,

I was not quite sure where to put this!

Now, we all know what best practice is when it comes to a leaking system, but I want to clarify what is actual legislation.

For the purpose of this question, lets ignore systems which are critical charge, such as vrv's etc, as there is only one way to do them properly.

Scenario:

A simple chiller cold-room on R134a is short of refrigerant - say circa 1/2 full.
    You leak test and find a couple of joints / flanges leaking. These are tightened and stop leaking. You also check the rest of the system, and are satisfied there are no more leaks.
    You then top up with R134a to clear the sight glass.
    Is that breaking any f-gas regs or legislation?

As far as I'm aware, you are only breaking the law if you add refrigerant to a system, knowing there is a leak, or you've not found one. Obviously, even on the above, if no leak was found initially, then you'd pull the charge and pressure test to find it.

Cheers

Re: leak testing question

How can you leak check a known leaking system properly without reclaiming the charge?
    I'm back on the Pale

Re: leak testing question

..Well electronic leak detectors have been pretty damn accurate / sensitive for some time and can pick up tiny leaks (as you know). They'll pick up leaks with static pressure, you can also leak test the high side with the system running. Not sure of your point?

When carrying out f-gas checks, you don't decant the system and pressurise with ofn.