Hybrid View

Re: ? about hydrocarbon gas

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHolm View Post
    Everything I have read show sulfur levels in LPG to be quite low but i cannot find any reference to a minimum allowable level for refrigerant grade stuff. Most people I know using R290 filter it through 2 liquid line filters and straight into the system. No idea about the long term effects on the system from this though....

I found this.

http://www.lindeus.com/internet.lg.l...e138_11493.pdf

Purity

The quality of commercially available propane (LPG) is very often
    not suitable for refrigeration. The composition varies substantially,
    generally having between 60 and 95% propane. It can have high
    levels of moisture and unsaturated hydrocarbons.
    Impurities such as other hydrocarbons can impact the vapour
    pressure of the product, lowering overall system efficiency. Sulphur
    can cause corrosion, and unsaturated hydrocarbons can react with
    system components. Moisture leads to hydrolysis, corrosion and
    compressor failure.

R290 is at least 97.5% pure with minimal levels of critical impurities including moisture
    (typically† <10ppm), unsaturated hydrocarbons (typically <0.5%) and
    sulphur. This makes it ideal for use in all types of refrigeration and air
    conditioning systems.

Regards

Rob

ozfrige Guest

Rather interesting all this about LPG having loads of moisture & sulphur. I have a vehicle that i replaced the R12 with LPG from my barbacue bottle 2 years ago & fitted a new reciever drier. Its still going & works realy well. The vehicle also runs on LPG & at last inspection & test the tank is not coroded inside & passed & so did the copper piping. One wonders if its a scare tactic to buy over priced gas just because its suposedly filtered & dried?

Quote Originally Posted by ozfrige View Post
    Rather interesting all this about LPG having loads of moisture & sulphur. I have a vehicle that i replaced the R12 with LPG from my barbacue bottle 2 years ago & fitted a new reciever drier. Its still going & works realy well. The vehicle also runs on LPG & at last inspection & test the tank is not coroded inside & passed & so did the copper piping. One wonders if its a scare tactic to buy over priced gas just because its suposedly filtered & dried?
    The copper piping will appear fine as it is degrading from the inside out you can not see it

Quote Originally Posted by jamieson91 View Post
    The copper piping will appear fine as it is degrading from the inside out you can not see it

Oh rly!!!!

Spoken from true peranoia! I was born raised and work with propane and to this day I live with it as my primary heating and cooling fuel, and in that 30 years not once have I seen copper damaged by propane or the junk usualy in it, from industrial multicylinder compressors to the bbq tank with the 30 foot direct burried copper line.

So do please try again! bad information just annoies me!

Any degraded copper I see is from hard water/to much flux used and left on the pipe but never once have I seen it degraded by the use of propane and or the contaminants found in it.
    Now in Redvers Sask.