Hybrid View

Re: XRV204-110 Major overhaul video

Seanf,
    Cover would be cost of new machine.
    If all bearings seated & everything detailed, like high spots on rotor end faces, discharge end face, clearance should be correct as it was from factory.
    If correction required, precision lathe work on cover carried out.
    Must be perfectly parallel to each other.
    Face machined depends on if clearance to big or small.

All these machines are about cleaning & detail for reliable operation.
    Also check & double check everything ( Tycho indicates this in video).
    If checks not carried out it goes pear shaped pretty quickly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER1 View Post
    Seanf,
    Cover would be cost of new machine.
    If all bearings seated & everything detailed, like high spots on rotor end faces, discharge end face, clearance should be correct as it was from factory.
    If correction required, precision lathe work on cover carried out.
    Must be perfectly parallel to each other.
    Face machined depends on if clearance to big or small.

That machine I made the video with, I tried with covers from another machine that some one else had deemed "unservicble" and the outlet end clearance was the exact same... that's why I have moved to polishing that ring on the thrust bearing assembly rather than trying ti put the cover in the late
    -Cheers-

Tycho

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER1 View Post
    The XRV's are stonecrushers, they will grind through rock and suck liquid refrigerant and sound like they enjoy it, but it will scare the bejeebus out of any refrigeration mechanic standing next to them.

Especially the ones that run on VFD. My preference is that no XRV should run lower than 2400 rpm.

I have had a few commissions where the compressor were to be run at 1200 rpm.
    IMHO at 1200 rpm even the XRV compressor is an oil pump an not a compressor.

Anyway, we started the plant, the compressor sounded nice (for pumping oil)
    after the warmup time the slidevalve stared increasing
    all was good until it reached 25% and the compressor sounded like it was chewing itself to pieces *GRRRRR" but then it increased to 30% and it was all quiet again.

So I learned "don't be alarmed if an XRV makes a sound like it's chewing itself to pieces"
    it's just the slidevalve finding it's place ;D

or most important, act cool and don't let the owner/client see that you are nervous if the compressor is making sounds you are not comfortable with

Just look at the client and smile and say "this is good stuff" while you ever so slightly move your hand towards the emergency stop button, and inside you hope that the PLC guy has added all the correct limits.... then the slidevalve moves from 25% to 30% and it goes from sounding like it is going to shake itself to pieces to sounding like a purring kitten, and you are still looking at the client, and the shakily lowering your arm from near the emergency stop that's the life of commissioning an XRV, 1800 rpm no less, they can run at 1200, but not recommended
    Last edited by Tycho; 31-03-2023 at 01:19 AM.
    -Cheers-

Tycho

Blog Entries

also, when I check Outlet end clerance, take into account that when I check female first, the male rotor is locked so I might be pushing against the Male rotor as well when I check the OEC. As can be seen in the video I got an OEC of the female that was 0.13, but when I checked it again when I released the pressure it was closer to 0.15
    That is Why I check the OEC several times.
    First push: Female rotor
    second push:male rotor
    Then I rotate to make sure they are free, then release pressure on female to check how much it gives, to make sure it's the same as before... hopefully no more or less...
    then I do the same thing for the male rotor...

I've seen some nasty looking XRV compressors, but I've only seen one I didn't service
    As long as he hasn't chewed into the outlet wall, it can be serviced!
    -Cheers-

Tycho