Newby manifold/gauge quiery

Hello all,
    I am new to this forum and also reasonably newish to the refrigeration engineering world, so please excuse my lack of know!

I just have a quick question: I have recently just aquired a new set of gauges that only have hi and low valves on the manifold and only three hose inlets (hi,low and ref) as apposed to the four valves and four hoses gauges/manifolds (hi,low,ref and vac) I have been previously using.
    Now I am just curious as to how to vac a sytem without the vac line, would I use the ref line as I am aware this has a narrower bore as to what the vac line has?
    Thanks in advance to any response given.
    Cheers Lee

Re: Newby manifold/gauge quiery

Quote Originally Posted by lees8110 View Post
    Hello all,
    I am new to this forum and also reasonably newish to the refrigeration engineering world, so please excuse my lack of know!

I just have a quick question: I have recently just acquired a new set of gauges that only have hi and low valves on the manifold and only three hose inlets (hi,low and ref) as apposed to the four valves and four hoses gauges/manifolds (hi,low,ref and vac) I have been previously using.
    Now I am just curious as to how to vac a sytem without the vac line, would I use the ref line as I am aware this has a narrower bore as to what the vac line has?
    Thanks in advance to any response given.
    Cheers Lee
    Hi Lee
    Your observation is correct. But if you think about it even on a 5 port set of gauges.
    You still use one or more of the 1/4" ports.
    Fit a 1/4" female to 3/8" male fitting to the centre port and use 3/8" lines.
    The trick is to use the largest practicable size lines And wherever you can minimise restrictions throughout.
    I hope this helps Grizzly

Re: Newby manifold/gauge quiery

Thanks Grizzly for you reply, I will do as you say, now I have confirmation I can carry it out with the gauges I have aquired.