I am replacing the compressor in a Euopean display case. It originaly had a 230-240 V , 50Hz. 404A condensing unit with a cap start induction run fractional hermetic. It is relatively new and the compressor was already removed when I started work on it. The owner was told by the previous serviceman who never returned, it burned out because of the difference in cycles here in the US causing it to run faster. I installed the new compressor, which in the 60Hz conversion model, only comes in a cap start cap run set up. It has a potential relay instead of the cmr relay that was on the original. Problem..Compressor starts and runs but dosn't pump anything. The gauges show nothing. In fact if anything the suction pressure rises slightly then it goes off on overload. After much checking and rechecking i figure there is a mechanical problem so I recovered the charge and pulled off the suction discharge lines. Just for kicks I turn on the compressor and it is running in reverse? The suction line is blowing and the discharge sucking.
I'm really losing hair over this one. Ken