Threaded View

REAL advantages of semi hermetics vs hermetics

Hi, i'm a refrigeration tech based in Venezuela and had this discussion with some colleagues and find it an interestings topic.

Some pointers on the situations in the market here so you can give an opinion.

Here on average most customers have old semi hermetics (copeland) and obviously most have several rebuilds done.

I find that compressors tend to last about 5-8 years between failures and hermetics maybe a bit less like 4-6 years.

The opinion i have comes mostly from cost. I find some spare parts for these compressors are absurdly priced and sometimes the numbers don't add up when you have so many hermetics and scrolls at very reasonable prices.

I'm talking 10 ton and smaller systems.

Lately i've been opting out of installing only one semi hermetic in big walk ins and instead i install two smaller systems working in tandem and it has resulted in better situations when something happens it gives time to me and the customer to act and usually repairs are less costly since its only one smaller system that goes down instead of a big 7 1/2 or 10 hp compressor and if refrigerant leaks its only half etc.. you get the idea

Also would like to add that nobody here does the so called easy maintenance that semi hermetics are able to receive and often when they fail its either all busted up inside or burned out and many times both...

I would like to have more opinions on this from more qualified techs.

Thank
    Last edited by Chacata; 16-10-2022 at 06:08 PM.