G'day all

Sorry to bring up an old topic that has already been thrashed to death, but looking through archives I couldnt find an answer to my question.

We all know that a partial restriction in a cap tube causes low suction pressure and high superheat. But so does short of gas and they can both look similar on the low side gauge when the system is running. Also an icing cappilary line could be another indication..

What if the particular system doesnt have a name plate charge or a gauge connection on the high side so you can check subcooling to determine whether there is a partial restriction.?

Does taking the temperature in the mid point of the condenser coil give you a proper indication of SCT good enough to do a subcool measurement?

I wonder how many mechanics stuff cap tube systems full of refrigerant until the suction line gets colder thinking they are short when it is actually a restriction.

Does anyone know of a foolproof method that will enable you to get it right first time without trying to hunt down a non existant leak.

Thanks in advance.