Hi Guys,
I'm not a Refrigeration Engineer, but a self-employed TV Engineer who has become involved with this problem...
For the last month or so, every hour or so I got a 3 to 5 second burst of Radio Frequency Interference that totally breaks up TV pictures or obliterates any Radio Reception.
I was completely puzzled as to the source of this until one day I happened to be sitting in the kitchen listening to the radio, when the burst started.
I heard a pronouced "click" come from the Fridge/Freezer, just at the exact moment the interference stopped.
I have a quite old 2 Cabinet (stacked) unit which I presume uses a dual compressor.
I've tried shutting down the compressor via manually adjusting the Defrost Timer, but that's clean, both in starting and stopping.
The door switch is also not to blame.

Today, since the fridge was almost empty, I left the door open until the fan started...again "clean".
I then closed the door.
After about 10 mins or so, the blast of interference could be heard on the radio, just at the point the fan shut off.

Do you guys reckon this could be caused by the fridge thermostat arcing?
(There is obviously arcing going on somewhere!)

I'm not being a cheapskate here in not calling out an Engineer, firstly, since the unit is pretty old now and would not warrant the charge of a professional Engineer.
Also, being an Engineer myself, I tend to get involved LOL!
And last (but not least)...I don't earn a lot of dough, so it would be good for me (and the environment) if I could squeeze a couple of more years out of it.

It's bugging me!

So should I try a new thermostat, or could there be other factors?
The fan motor I would imagine would be a brushless/induction type..so I would tend to rule that out.

Would very much appreciate any thoughts on this....

PF.