Hey guys...

A juicy conversation has been going on over at one of the other forums I participate in...

Its regarding a calorex heat pump that was already installed when the op moved into his new build house. The heat pump was specified as part of the planning regulations and all the other houses have gas central heating. The calorex seems to be designed for 7C outdoor temp and functions well at this temp, however below 3C and its duty really drops off very quickly. Must be one of the worst heat pumps that I have seen and its data sheets only confirm its output down to 0C (most systems are down to -15C these days)

The system wont heat below 5C and the op is having major issues and a fight on his hands with the builders who want to put more immersion heaters in that will come on to boost the system when it drops below 5C... putting his electricity usage up even further!

He could not get his house above 16C when it was at 0C outside that was with the system running night and day... hot water however was fine and sufficient. He has now just got his electricity bill which is as high as his neighbours who have a gas boiler and were toasty warm during the cold spell.. money down the drain I said you might as well be using electric heaters at least you would be warm.

Anyway i'm rambling on but the op is going to be taking legal action against the builders soon as they are not being very cooperative and the op is not happy with them fitting 2 separate heat pumps and all these immersion heaters so that it has the duty that is required...

It starts here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...464827&page=18 post 697 is the technical report carried out by the builders, prob the best place to pick it up from.

Many people have replied and other people have also come on with their own problems in between but you will pick the jist of it up.

The op is bushyh -

What do you all think to this then? Any suggestions on how the op could take this forward.

I have suggested ripping the unit out and fitting something like a Daikin or Mitsi as these will work below 5C!