Threaded View

Tons of Refrigeration

There is another site about refrigeration and air conditioning that I read most every day. http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/ This site is visited by mostly tradesmen from the U.S and Canada.

I tried to get Chemi-Cool form Israel to check out this site but he was unable to get on to it. The reason, I believe, is that the owner of the site had firewalls up to prevent overseas posts. But the site recently got a new owner so maybe things will be different now.

There are certain terminlogies about air conditioning that you use in the UK, that I understand, but would not use over here.

On this site I never see reference to the British Thermal Unit (btu). Which I know you don't use in England. Maybe because it is British . The BTU is used all the time over here in the Air conditioning and refrigeration industry.

When sizing air conditioning equipment the capacity is always given in "Tons". 12,000 btu= 1 ton of refrigeration. Apparently from reading the posts on this site, capacities of air conditioning systems in Europe is given in kw.

We got into this discussion over on the N.American site and a poster offered this infromation which I though you might be interested :

1- Btu/h = .293 w
    1- ton of refrigeration = 3.52 Kw or 3520 w.
    Last edited by benncool; 20-09-2004 at 05:24 PM.
    Essayons