Hybrid View

Re: liquid overfeed system design guide

Why you want to reduce ammonia? it smells but you know you have a leak r22 just kills you!!

Hi, HallsEngineer

Quote Originally Posted by HallsEngineer View Post
    Why you want to reduce ammonia? it smells but you know you have a leak r22 just kills you!!
    Why do you think I want to use R22 (BTW I hate *****s) and I know all of them are silent killers

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Hi Josip,

Many thanks for your kind remarks.

As you know I am an apprentice in NH3, and I would welcome any suggestion.
    Liquid overfeed is a very interesting engineering work and as I thought before it is not very complicated as long as one understands the working principles of control valves (IMO).

Thanks again
    Cheers
    Even Einstein Asked Questions

Hi, lana

Quote Originally Posted by lana View Post
    Hi Josip,

Many thanks for your kind remarks.

As you know I am an apprentice in NH3, and I would welcome any suggestion.
    Liquid overfeed is a very interesting engineering work and as I thought before it is not very complicated as long as one understands the working principles of control valves (IMO).

Thanks again
    Cheers

I would not dare to call you "apprentice" (not even in NH3 field) because you did excellent "homework".

My remarks were only added just to underline something what can be forgotten (safety) due to lowering the price for complete plant (requested by owner) and usually that is related to safety.

An overall COP will be lower and installation price higher when using indirect cooling (to keep all NH3 within engine room), but it is more safe. Furthermore it is better for maintenance ...no ammonia leaks-no sensors, no oil in the system....etc.

My idea/suggestion to designers is to design NH3 plants very similar to nuclear plants (to keep dangerous matter in "core-engine room" and freezing tunnels i.e. low temp rooms next to "core-engine room" with easy access via technical corridor. For other facilities with higher temperatures it is quite acceptable to use indirect cooling systems..

Ammonia and water (glycols,brines) are "enemies" but working together in indirect cooling systems they can do a tremendous work and we have to utilize that

All our talks, here on RE forums, are to spread good things and ideas all around the world and engineers in any field are entitled to do that in the best possible way they can...

Hope agree with me

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Dear Josip,

I could not agree with you more.

Maybe you remember me saying "ammonia is dangerous", but when I studied the system and all the safety precautions then I realized it is safe like other refrigerants.

There you go, I joined the club!

Best regards,

LANA

Quote Originally Posted by Josip
    All our talks, here on RE forums, are to spread good things and ideas all around the world and engineers in any field are entitled to do that in the best possible way they can...
    Safety first, then good operation, then cost...

Those are my priorities.

Refrigerants are as safe as the person working on the system. There are no SAFE refrigerants IMHO.

Lana, I suspect you have a new appreciation for industrial refrigeration after your research on liquid overfeed systems. I know this was one of the most interesting topics I have learned.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

Quote Originally Posted by US Iceman View Post
    Lana, I suspect you have a new appreciation for industrial refrigeration after your research on liquid overfeed systems. I know this was one of the most interesting topics I have learned.
    Hi US Iceman,

As always you are completely right. It is a nice piece of engineering work.

Cheers

Hallo to everybody:

There is an artical about the subject titled "Back to the Basics: What is the Right Liquid Feed Method for Your System? " puplished on IIAR, 2005, and written by Alan Simchick of Refrigeracion y Equipos, S.A. Mexico. I can emial it for you Lana if you send me your email. Of course US iceman got it.
    Last edited by aansari; 02-03-2008 at 04:13 AM.