Thread: E2 controller

E2 controller

Can't direct connect my laptop to the einstein 2. No problem on the land line. No problem direct connecting on reflecs. Called cpc,no luck. Laptop is a dell 505 with xp.

Re: E2 controller

Are you using the 9 pin or a USB adapter? Or the ethernet cable?

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by joe magee View Post
    Can't direct connect my laptop to the einstein 2. No problem on the land line. No problem direct connecting on reflecs. Called cpc,no luck. Laptop is a dell 505 with xp.
    And you want what?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

I want to use ultrsite to program the controller. The connection on the e2 is a 9pin as is my laptop.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

If you say that the land line connection is OK then we are led to believe that you software can talk to the controller and the controller can listen to your laptop.

You now need to look into your patch lead, comms port setup on both your laptop and the controller I would think.
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 31-01-2007 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Spelling doh!
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

G'day to all you supermarket gurus out there, its been a long time between drinks but here goes.
    I'm pretty sure the rmcc (reflecs) uses a normal 9 pin serial cable, the einstein uses a "null modem cable" - still 9 pin serial but i think the pinout of the cabling's different (like a crossover cable but for serial comms). I'm assuming they would have carried it over to the E2 but I always connect TCP/IP (ethernet). Pretty sure its not your laptop as I've seen this problem before.
    Hope this helps.

Welcome back 750valve, how ya doin?

Kind regards

Mark

"Don't call it a comeback I've been here for years!"

G'day Mark, long time no speak, I'm gonna make a concerted effort to drop in regularly. Just needed some time away from fridge, got a bit full on - still doing same stuff just switching the phone off at night now! I'm sure you know how it gets.

Cold Service hey, new company isn't it for you?

Nah 6+ years now

Quote Originally Posted by MarkFiddy View Post
    Nah 6+ years now
    4 more to go for the magic 10

richyj Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 750 Valve View Post
    the einstein uses a "null modem cable" - still 9 pin serial but i think the pinout of the cabling's different (like a crossover cable but for serial comms).
    The E2 uses a normal (straight-through) cable. What may be tripping you up is the baud rate: the default baud rate for E2 is 115.2 kbaud (you can verify current settings by logging in, then going to Menu-7-3-1, Ctrl-3 (for 'Serial' tab), and looking at COM1 Baud setting.

Your UltraSite site settings should match, as shown here: ... well, apparently I can't post a link to an image until I've done 15 posts (odd), suffice it to say the site settings should be:
    Devices: E2
    Connection: Direct Connect
    Baud Rate: 115200
    Port: COM1 (or whatever the comm port is on your notebook, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't COM1)

I'll assume your comm port is set up correctly in UltraSite, since you can connect to Reflecs.

Hope this helps, let me know if it doesn't.

Rich