Liquid line increase

Hi

While looking at large cold room with 3 blowers supplied from 3 carrier condensing units,I noticed the liquid lines went from 5/8 to 7/8 about .5 meter after sight glass.Is this ok.

Regards Bernard

Re: Liquid line increase

I dont see any reason why not. a system with an excessively long pipe run could have the tubing oversized to compensate for any pressure drop involved.
    Takes a licking, keeps on ticking.

Hi Bernard,

I doubt the difference in sizes will present any problems. When I did a lot of supermarket work I routinely over sized the liquid lines, and insulated them in areas where the piping ran through a warm space.

The larger piping allows a lower pressure loss in the liquid line. That helps a lot. Secondly, if the liquid line runs through a space with an air temperature lower than the liquid line temperature, that also helps.

If the liquid line runs through a warm space, the liquid line can absorb heat, which does not help you. In fact, it can decrease the system capacity.

Hi

Yes the pipe runs are long so thats the reason,another question the condensers were large but the recievers small.You would never be able to pump them down.Sorry I don,t have much info on the system and they were running fine.But should the receivers not be sized to cope with the liquid in the system.

Thanks Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by bernard
    But should the receivers not be sized to cope with the liquid in the system.
    Well, I suppose if you ever wanted to have a chance of pumping the entire system down (the parts connected to that receiver) the receiver would need to have sufficient volume (system charge + approx. 25%) to accommodate the pump down.

I would question why the receiver is so small, unless it was intended for a close coupled system.