Condensing Unit Sizing

Just seeing if anyone can advise me on a suitable size outdoor unit for a cellar cooling system. Suppliers aren't willing to match and are insisting on a full new system. Usually I would but the customer Is looking to close the business in the next 12 month so trying to keep the cost down for him.

It's a cellar cooling which needs a new outdoor unit.
    The evaporator is a single fan Kobol CR-39.Currently on R404A.
    The cellar is below ground, Pipe run is around 5 metres.
    Cellar size is 5m x 6m x 2.5m high.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks

Re: Condensing Unit Sizing

Any details on the outdoor unit? Would be easier to match from compressor duty.

What style of outdoor unit, weather proof?
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

The previous outdoor unit was an MS26TB compressor on a standard unhoused unit but this seemed massively undersized. It was more like kit that someone had just thrown in. Would struggle massively every summer. Ideally I'd like to fit a J&E Hall condensing unit of possible, it's just seeing which unit would be suitable.

What I usually do in these situations is identify the refrigerant type, work out if its a HBP/MBP or LBP compressor, then look up the cubic capacity of the compressor, then look for a similar c.c. compressor from another manufacturer.

In your case a Cubigel/ACC/Electrolux MS26TB is a HBP/MBP 26c.c. compressor. An equivalent from L'Unite would be a CAJ4517Z also 26c.c.

A J&E Hall JEHR-0170-B2-M-1 has a CAJ4519Z compressor with 34.4c.c. giving about 20% more duty though this will depend on the sizing of the evaporator (an undersized evaporator for the bigger unit will limit the duty a bit)

You can also match duties by looking at how many kW a unit does at a specific temperature and then cross reference that to another brand or style of unit, which is handy if you want to change the refrigerant type.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

this... http://www.carsrefrigeration.co.uk/d...s/brochure.pdf

has your evap @ 3.03kw cooling on 404a

for somewhere that's closing down I'd be looking on ebay (with owners bakcing)

Quote Originally Posted by Northdude View Post
    The previous outdoor unit was an MS26TB compressor on a standard unhoused unit but this seemed massively undersized. It was more like kit that someone had just thrown in. Would struggle massively every summer. Ideally I'd like to fit a J&E Hall condensing unit of possible, it's just seeing which unit would be suitable.
    Northdude,
    Sorry, just tell him he has to part with the cash.
    Why is his problems now your problems.
    Of course you could “probably” solve it, depending on how much you value your time, if it’s a hobby or something.
    I agree with suppliers.
    If he shuts business down, then maybe he can sell it as a reliable unit to someone else.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes I've priced up a J&E Hall Outdoor but to be fair there's not much difference to a full split cellar system.
    And yes I agree with you ranger, I've had this in the past and ended up getting stung by trying to save customers money, if there's issues with the systems not matching then its me that's at a loss. I'm quoting on a full new system and if he dosent want it done then so be it
    Thanks again