Working in the USA

Hello all of you

Recently relocated to the USA (Wyoming) from jolly old England and wondering what certification is the most useful and how do I acquire it most quickly?

Thank you

I'm an old timer and limited means so advice on online certification would be very useful too

Re: Working in the USA

Welcome to the forum TrevH

It would be useful if you could give some background and what current qualifications you hold, and maybe what area of refrigeration you want to get into in the US.

Armed with this information, I'm sure that some of our members across the pond will be able to offer advice

Hello Frank and all,

Was in the Industry from mid 90's to 2014, install and service of splits at first and then more HVAC orientated and then a few years as a building services role (Needed to be home more). After that I ended up taking on a more electrical biased role.....Then a little over a year ago I landed in Wyoming USA.

As far as qualifications go .....all I got was C&G 2078 and 2079

Made some progress through the NVQ III course but time and money made it impossible

Same goes for C&G 2365

Do have an OND (NVQ III) in electronic Engineering

Hope someone can steer me in the right direction

Incidentally, if any mods can help me retrieve my old account on here ????? something wrong with the old email address I think

Ha Ha. Let us know what your old account was

I was formerly known as 'TRASH101'

AS far as HVAC, the only certification I am aware of is for handling EPA regulated refrigerants.

Those regulations are found under 40 CFR 82 (A) found on the ecfr site.

It is legally called "certification" and NOT LICENSE.

Note, drive the HVAC suppliers crazy by reminding them that R410A is NOT REGULATED.

I get jollies seeing them melt down when I tell them there is no refrigerant LICENSE and that I need no certification to use 410A. Only Class I and Class II refrigerants and propellants are regulated under US EPA and 410A is not on either list.

ROFL.

WY and surrounding States are sparsely populated. May be more industrial opportunities than residential.

There are fairly large CNG operations out there. The US Govt likes hiding things under-ground in remote locations. For a lark, take the Soudan Mine tour (MN) and on the way down the 1/2 mile shaft, ask the Guide "why cant we stop on those well lit levels we just passed?"

Might be some industrial safety certs that are useful, but I dont know much beyond that.

Industrial Safety in US is under OSHA/NIOSH.

US National Electrical Code is common training and a required field of knowlege. (Under NFPA)

There may be mining operations. Mining safety certs, explosives, hazardous locations, SCBA training etc.

Otherwise, the Laws of Physics are same everywhere.
    Last edited by daveca; 13-06-2023 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks Daveca,

I shall use the 410A to torture local wholesalers.

I'll read through the 40 CFR 82 (A), hopefully not too different from the UK Fgas regs

is the EPA 608 the way to go?

I've already seen a few 'Grandfather rights' put to use out in the Trona valley :O

I'm starting at a local plumbing business tomorrow ....... as a helper!! LOL, hoping to at least get through the day without upsetting their HVAC guys

OSHA and NIOSH will be next after 608 , cash willing

US EPA rules should be harmonised with International since they descend from the Montreal Protocol concerning the bloody ozone hole that fixed itself mysteriously so the whole thing is nonsense.

As to work, it would require relocation, but there are two big sites which deal heavily with your field, in the nuke facility world. Bechtel corp has a large presence at both Hanford ( WA State) and Oak Ridge TN ( where I am). Wife tells me theyll be hiring 1,000 here for " Y-12" IIRC.

As to training, self- inflicted is good, it shows initiative but any decent size employer will train you

If you want more info,PM me

608? Definitely since most commercal or industrial uses are regulated.

https://www.epa.gov/section608/secti...ertification-0

Note they say " certification" not " license" and " refrigerants," not "any/all refrigerants."

410 is obviously formulated for residential uses since res units are chronic leakers and theresno way to regulate or enforce it at the homeowner level. Enforcement actions have to he justified by fines levied.

410 is not ODP so its pointless.
    Last edited by daveca; 14-06-2023 at 04:16 PM.