Good to see names I remember

Hello everyone, it's a long time since I was posting here but I'm very happy to see names I remember are still here. I hope you're all well.

I'm not farming any more, my age and my back pain makes me I can't do much work now. Also the covid was a bad time and I had to sell my dairy cows and other animals all except my dog so I'm almost retired now.

I'm keeping busy with some small maintenance work and I'm repairing my old wooden pantry cold room at my house because my beer is warm and my food is being thrown away. I wasn't sure where to put this so I must apologise if it is in the wrong place, I'm always a bit embarassed to post in the technical forum part because we work differently and old fashioned here where we must make a plan with what we have got.

The compressor started tripping on the earth leakage circuit breaker and when I Megger test the windings to earth they are very low insulation readings and even with just a multimeter I can see the short circuit. I thought I replaced the compressor not long ago but when I see the date engraving on top of it the year was 1994 so my mind I think is playing tricks.

It's an 3/4 HP R12 compressor and I still have gas in my store but finding a compressor the same isn't easy so I'm going to change it to 134A.

I have two quick questions if I may please. First I'm going to remove the compressor and the expansion valve and flush the copper pipes and the evaporator. I have a few gallons of F11 which was our flushing liquid but I rather use something better for the climate. What is the new liquid I should use for flushing?

Second question can I use CO2 instead of nitrogen to fill the system whilst welding? I have lots of CO2 here but I would need to buy nitrogen if I can't use it. Is there any bad reason CO2 isn't used for purge gas?

Re: Good to see names I remember

You get something called AK Flush in the UK.

They use CO2 for some welding processes, not sure if there would be a bad reaction with a refrigerant though. Thinking of Ammonia and CO2. But then again youll be vacuuming the system anyway?

Re: Good to see names I remember

Thank you for your comments Seanf. Yes I will be removing the compressor and expansion valve then flushing all the different sections to remove any carbon that came from the burned out windings and also any old oil. Then I fit new compressor and new 134a expansion valve with suction and liquid pipe filters then leakage test, vacuum and regas.

From where I live it is about 3 hours around trip to the supplier. I already have the new compressor and the filters so I would need to make a special journey to find out what flushing liquid is used now. If I can weld wirth CO2 then it probably isn't worth the drive and I will use my remaining F11 to flush everything clean.