Question AC for lift shafts and cabs

Hi all,

Wondered if anyone here has had any experience of cooling lift shafts and the cabs?

A client of ours says they are becoming very hot whilst travelling, the building is glass so therefore having solar gains more so in the hot weather.

I have to walk around site yet to get further details.

Possibly thought about mounting a small unit directly on top of the cab to supply cooled air into the cab.

For the shaft, I was going to look to introduce chilled air at the bottom of the shaft (if possible with a fire damper) and an extraction fan on the roof to reject. Hoping the cool air would push up the hot air rejecting it through the fan with the cold air rising to the hot air.

There are 9 floors in total, 4 basement levels and 5 above.

Any help and ideas would be fully appreciated.

Re: AC for lift shafts and cabs

Would putting a refrigeration system in the shaft or on the cab be a problem when the refrigerant leaks out? confined space?

What about cool air supply for the shaft and vents/fan on the cab?
    Interested to hear about opportunities to learn. - http://www.linkedin.com/in/s34nf

Quote Originally Posted by seanf View Post
    Would putting a refrigeration system in the shaft or on the cab be a problem when the refrigerant leaks out? confined space?

What about cool air supply for the shaft and vents/fan on the cab?

Hi Sean,

Overlooked the leak possibility. Maybe a leak detection sensor low level which could evacuate the fridge via a fan possibly. One to think about that.

Yes probably best, big unit at the bottom of shaft. That will stop the fridge issue in the loft cab

Can you shield the glass, brize soleil or similar, or a solar panel overhang. I'd suggest cooling the shaft, should be no need to directly cool the cab, you could use a chilled water ducted unit to directly ventilate the shaft, you'd need to pay attention to air pressure in event of fire, probably need to fit a motorised fire damper to close in event of fire.
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

Hi Al.

It was more the clients request for direct cooling but looking into it that’s probably not going to be possible.

Defo try to push chilled air into the shaft which will in turn push out the hot air etc. A fire damper would definitely be required hooked up to the fire alarm panel.

Like the idea of the water cooled unit, defo something to look further into.

Many thanks

You had better talk to the lift people as I was refused permission to run fridge pipes through a small section of shaft once. Apparently anything not associated with the lift is barred from the shaft.

Could be something in the lift regs

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    You had better talk to the lift people as I was refused permission to run fridge pipes through a small section of shaft once. Apparently anything not associated with the lift is barred from the shaft.

Could be something in the lift regs
    Hi Frank,

That makes sense that. I’m aware certain things aren’t allowed. I’ll hit up the lift company up and see what they say. Otherwise could be a tricky task. Thanks