Question on line size

Hey, sorry for the dumb question.
    I'm kinda confused on the specifications of my compressor which states:

Suction 6.5 mm SLANTED 42º UP + 45° TO BACK COPPER
    Discharge 4.94 mm SLANTED 30° UP + 24° TO BACK COPPER
    Process 6.5 mm SLANTED 45° UP + 45° TO BACK COPPER

So, easyly enough, I'm required to fit a 6mm OD tubing at the suction and process port, but what about the discharge? 5mm won't fit and I can only seem to find 4mm OD available to buy. Can I safely put a 4mm pipe? Won't it affect the flow or wouldnt it be a problem to obtain a solid brazing due to the excessive gap?
    I've checked the diameter of a refrigeration I have at home with the exact discharge size and it does use a 4.75 mm pipe which I can't find for the life of me.

Cheers,
    Andrea

Re: Question on line size

Tube expander?
    Interested to hear about opportunities to learn. - http://www.linkedin.com/in/s34nf

Are we allowed to use a tube expander directly on the fitting of the compressor?

I'm guessing its just a little embraco black pot compressor, with ports made of copper that youve got.

I dont know what the manufature recommends but. In the past I've used tube expanders to just slightly widen the compressor ports, so that you can fit standard copper tube sizes like 1/4" and 3/8". Carefully heat up the compressor port before using the tube expander so that it dosnt split the pipe.

Another option that is not so advisable to use. In the past on the very odd occasion when the compressor port or the copper pipe is a really funny size and dosnt fit. I've either expanded the copper tube so that it fits tighter into the compressor port, or expanded the copper tube so that is fits over the top of the compressor port. Again this is not so advisable.
    Last edited by seanf; 27-02-2023 at 11:24 PM.
    Interested to hear about opportunities to learn. - http://www.linkedin.com/in/s34nf

Thank you Sean. Yes, it's a standard compressor for small freezers and refrigerators.
    I also thought I could take a look at another applicance I have at home, a blast freezer with R290. Oddly enough, they decided to put a 4mm OD pipe out of the discharge and into the condenser, also they put a lot of brazing material to fit the narrow tube into the inlet of the condenser which seems to be a 6mm or even greater.

If you do try and fill a large gap with brazing material, just keep in mind how much brazing rod your using. Its easy to use too much and end up causing a restriction or even block the tube.

For correct sizing, you need capacity
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.