Auxillary comes on one minute after beginning of cycle

I first noticed this back in December when we had some unusually cold weather, in the teens, which is not normal for South Mississippi.* I realize the heat pump switches to auxillary in these conditions but then I started noticing when the heater first comes on the display says HEAT.* After about a minute it switches to AUXILLARY HEAT.* It stays that way about 2 minutes then goes back to HEAT.* This may be normal and I just never noticed it before but what do y'all think.

Re: Auxillary comes on one minute after beginning of cycle

If you give the make and model of the heat pump, the ambient temp, indoor temp and thermostat set point temperature (degree C or F) when you seen this problem happening. Someone might be familier with it.
    Interested to hear about opportunities to learn. - http://www.linkedin.com/in/s34nf

Re: Auxillary comes on one minute after beginning of cycle

I can't remember the make and I'm at work. But the temperature is say 60 outside. Thermostat says it is 63 inside. I set it to 65. He heat pump runs about a minute then auxillary heat comes on. It runs a couple of minutes then usually cuts back to just heat. My bill this month was low so tihs may be normal.