REAL advantages of semi hermetics vs hermetics

Hi, i'm a refrigeration tech based in Venezuela and had this discussion with some colleagues and find it an interestings topic.

Some pointers on the situations in the market here so you can give an opinion.

Here on average most customers have old semi hermetics (copeland) and obviously most have several rebuilds done.

I find that compressors tend to last about 5-8 years between failures and hermetics maybe a bit less like 4-6 years.

The opinion i have comes mostly from cost. I find some spare parts for these compressors are absurdly priced and sometimes the numbers don't add up when you have so many hermetics and scrolls at very reasonable prices.

I'm talking 10 ton and smaller systems.

Lately i've been opting out of installing only one semi hermetic in big walk ins and instead i install two smaller systems working in tandem and it has resulted in better situations when something happens it gives time to me and the customer to act and usually repairs are less costly since its only one smaller system that goes down instead of a big 7 1/2 or 10 hp compressor and if refrigerant leaks its only half etc.. you get the idea

Also would like to add that nobody here does the so called easy maintenance that semi hermetics are able to receive and often when they fail its either all busted up inside or burned out and many times both...

I would like to have more opinions on this from more qualified techs.

Thank
    Last edited by Chacata; 16-10-2022 at 06:08 PM.

Re: REAL advantages of semi hermetics vs hermetics

Semi-hermetic compressors have several advantages over hermetic compressors, including:
    1) Serviceability.
    2) Flexibility.
    3) Efficiency.
    4) Reliability.
    5) Cost-effectiveness.
    There are also other details and advantages are available which may helps you more, In my include such type of other details you may read this too.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 14-02-2023 at 08:20 AM.

When comparing semi-hermetic compressors to hermetic compressors in HVAC and refrigeration systems, there are several advantages to consider. Here are some of the real advantages of semi-hermetic compressors:
    Efficiency: Semi-hermetic compressors often offer higher energy efficiency compared to hermetic compressors. The serviceability of semi-hermetic compressors allows for better maintenance, ensuring optimal performance over time. Additionally, semi-hermetic compressors can have better internal components, including improved motor designs and better cooling, resulting in higher overall system efficiency.
    Flexibility: Semi-hermetic compressors provide more flexibility in terms of capacity modulation. They can be equipped with various capacity control options such as mechanical or electronic modulation, allowing the system to adapt to changing load requirements. This flexibility can lead to energy savings and better temperature control in HVAC and refrigeration systems.
    Longer Lifespan: Due to their serviceability and robust construction, semi-hermetic compressors tend to have a longer lifespan compared to hermetic compressors. With proper maintenance and repairs, semi-hermetic compressors can operate reliably for an extended period, reducing the need for frequent replacements.
    It's important to note that the choice between semi-hermetic and hermetic compressors depends on the specific application, system requirements, and budget considerations.

There are several advantages of semi-hermetic compressors compared to hermetic compressors. Here are some key benefits:
    1. Serviceability and Maintenance: Semi-hermetic compressors offer easier access to internal components, making maintenance and service tasks more convenient. They can be opened for inspection, cleaning, and repair, allowing technicians to troubleshoot and address issues more effectively. In contrast, hermetic compressors are sealed units that cannot be opened for servicing, which can limit repair options and increase the likelihood of complete replacement.
    2. Spare Parts Availability: Semi-hermetic compressors often have a wider range of available spare parts compared to hermetic compressors. This is because semi-hermetic compressors are commonly used in commercial and industrial applications, and manufacturers tend to provide comprehensive support and spare parts for these models. The availability of spare parts can help reduce downtime and repair costs.
    3. Flexibility and Adaptability: Semi-hermetic compressors offer flexibility in terms of capacity adjustments and refrigerant options. They can be designed to handle different refrigerants and accommodate various capacity requirements. This adaptability makes them suitable for a wider range of applications and system configurations compared to hermetic compressors, which are typically designed for specific capacities and refrigerants.
    4. Motor Cooling: Semi-hermetic compressors often have better motor cooling compared to hermetic compressors. The motor is located within the compressor housing and benefits from the refrigerant flow and cooling properties of the system. This can enhance the overall performance and reliability of the compressor.
    5. Extended Lifespan: Semi-hermetic compressors generally have a longer lifespan compared to hermetic compressors. This is because they are designed for more demanding applications and can handle higher operating pressures and temperatures. With proper maintenance and care, semi-hermetic compressors can provide reliable service for an extended period.
    6. Redundancy and Capacity Control: In certain applications, having multiple semi-hermetic compressors operating in parallel can provide redundancy and capacity control advantages. If one compressor fails, the others can continue to operate, reducing downtime and ensuring continuous operation. Additionally, by staging the operation of multiple compressors, it is possible to match the cooling capacity more precisely to the load requirements, improving efficiency. Drift Boss