Looking for NH3 Technician and/or NH3 Engineer - Alabama

Hello NH3 Group,

I have been reading posts, trying to learn a bit on a variety of subjects related to R717.
    I am designing a prototype system which will utilize a NH3 Heat Pump to heat a process fluid through a plate type heat exchanger. Being a prototype, I hope to keep it small, perhaps 3-5 ton, to minimize cost.

I am located just outside of Birmingham, AL - and would like to find a technician and/or engineer having experience with NH3 - with whom I could converse / consult on some thermodynamic calculations for this system. I would be pleased to pay for your time, not looking for a freebie.

My background is industrial - mechanical systems, and while I have refrigeration experience, it is limited to R12 and R22 systems, and I am not a "refrigeration engineer."

Anyone interested, please let me know. Any recommendations for someone in my area would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer someone local, but would not rule out neighboring states.

Re: Looking for NH3 Technician and/or NH3 Engineer - Alabama

AEGIS Cool,
    Any particular reason you want to use ammonia?
    Is there a temperature you are trying to achieve?
    You might find difficult to find small open drive compressor suitable.
    There are some small ones available, but a little expensive.
    No copper or brass can be used, so PHE or BPHE would have to be checked for compatibility.

https://ammonia21.com/articles/1690/...es_compressors

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...76610217329053
    Last edited by RANGER1; 07-03-2022 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks Ranger1 for the reply! I have been to those sites and dozens more, searching for answers and knowledge on the subject. Ammonia is the most efficient refrigerant thermodynamically, and the zero GWP and zero DOP is optimal for the subject. I need more gas expansion per pound, which I get from ammonia. This is especially applicable as the process fluid on that side of the system. But, if I use it as the process fluid, I just as well use it on both sides and gain what efficiency I can by so doing. From what I find online, NH3 is more readily available down under than it is here in the States, and per your suggested websites, it is also used in many small applications in Europe, at least the U.K.

Been down under several times in recent years - last trip was cancelled about 2 weeks before the Covid lockdowns. I do like your country mate!

Hi, please check your visitor messages. :-)))

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.