flake ice machine

Hi Guys

I am contracting an industrial slaughter house refrigeration systems.

It includes many applications from -40 blast freezer , chilling room , cold stores, SH & T HX, and most importantly to this matters flake ice makers..

We have 8 Grasso recip compressors 5 working on -40 C liquid separator ( low stage) and 3 working on -10 C liquid separator ( high stage)

we have fed the flake ice suction accumulator from -10 ammonia pumps. the result of ice production is not satisfying.

we are in doubt using -40 cycle for this ice makers regarding -40 C freezers functionality and imbalance of pressure in -40 liquid separator causing from ice maker wet return..

we are considering a third stage of -25 C ( intermediate stage ) for this application.

I would like to know your comments and experiences on this matter please. any comment could help

Re: flake ice machine

Quote Originally Posted by l2embo View Post
    Hi Guys

I am contracting an industrial slaughter house refrigeration systems.

It includes many applications from -40 blast freezer , chilling room , cold stores, SH & T HX, and most importantly to this matters flake ice makers..

We have 8 Grasso recip compressors 5 working on -40 C liquid separator ( low stage) and 3 working on -10 C liquid separator ( high stage)

we have fed the flake ice suction accumulator from -10 ammonia pumps. the result of ice production is not satisfying.

we are in doubt using -40 cycle for this ice makers regarding -40 C freezers functionality and imbalance of pressure in -40 liquid separator causing from ice maker wet return..

we are considering a third stage of -25 C ( intermediate stage ) for this application.

I would like to know your comments and experiences on this matter please. any comment could help

12embo,
    I know very little about flake ice machines, but suggest following.

What amount of ice production do you require?

Is it more viable to get an independent system & ice machine for your requirements, as depending how far away it is from -40 deg C pipework, or to actually buy a new compressor & recirculator vessel, liquid pump, controls etc.

Find out minimum allowable suction pressure/temperature for your ice machine, if you connected to -40 deg C a back pressure regulator could be installed, as long as liquid pump pressure can overcome it's set point.
    Might be a bit inefficient to run, but you would have to weigh up costs of electricity to new equipment.

I see this Northstar can run at -36deg C

You could pre-chill water to increase ice making capacity of existing system, but I see Northstar start at -18 degC

Carbon Steel Flake Ice Makers | North Star Best Commercial & Industrial Flake Ice Machines, Ice Storage, Ice Delivery Systems (northstarice.com)
    Last edited by RANGER1; 20-02-2022 at 07:47 AM.

Problems associated with the operation must be addressed with the equipment manufacturer. I have experience https://buus.dk/

Josef.

Coming to the refrigeration system you are currently using: -40 C liquid separator is not enough low temperature refrigeration to make flake ice. Try using -25 C refrigeration system instead of -10 C. The -10 C is not enough to make quality of flake ice. -25 C with -40 C liquid separator will work better. Also try to use -25 C ammonia pumps instead of -10 C. The quality of flake ice is directly dependent on quality of the refrigeration system and refrigerant used. If you want to know more about flake ice production and its manufacturing process, you can contact a manufacturer. Thanks
    Last edited by frank; 02-07-2022 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Advertising link removed

I must have missed this post the first time around.
    First-is this a Northstar?

l2embo,

Is this a GEA gene glace ice maker

there is a risk for flake ice machine reamer drum to getting stuck if the ice thickness and density is higher, a possible scenario if you connect it to the -42 circuit.

Impact on the entire -42 network depends on the capacity of the ice makers.

If you install back pressure regulators, make sure your pumps have enough head to push through..