More efficient system

Dear Fellows and seniors

Which system is more efficient for industrial refrigeration DX or flooded to cool down 90C° french fries to 10C°?
    Awaiting your kind words
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Re: More efficient system

good day

The Flooded system much better than DX .
    in both system you should control suction line pressure to save compressor.
    also have good attention for defrost system.

good lock

Not my area really, but the contractor I worked for installed an ambient air system to remove some of the heat before using refrigeration. 80C drop is asking a lot from a refrigeration system.

Blog Entries

Yes if we go for two stage cooling it is good idea
    But the air from ambient should be hygienic

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    Yes if we go for two stage cooling it is good idea
    But the air from ambient should be hygienic
    Filtration

Blog Entries

Installed a spiral/gyro freezer to cool down fish burgers from 90C to 4C many moons ago that one was flooded, but could also have been installed as DX.

Don't see any issue with either system.

It depends on what kind of plant and capacity you have available.

if you are building from scratch to only cool down french fries, DX would be much simpler and less things to break IMHO
    -Cheers-

Tycho

Thanks a lot for your inputs In my opinion flodded is better than DX coz we remove flash gas heat from in Separater tank then liquid over feed by liquid pump. In DX system more vapors create in evaporator by flash gas.Awaiting your kind words

Quote Originally Posted by shaaf View Post
    Thanks a lot for your inputs In my opinion flodded is better than DX coz we remove flash gas heat from in Separater tank then liquid over feed by liquid pump. In DX system more vapors create in evaporator by flash gas.Awaiting your kind words
    It is up to your decision, but maybe is not bad to read some other arguments ...

https://ammonia21.com/articles/10150...erfeed_ammonia

https://www.hbproducts.dk/en/knowled...x-systems/file

If you have only to cool down french fries in my opinion is better to go with simple as possible system ... but your project, your money ... your decision ....

Best regards, Josip
    Last edited by Josip; 24-01-2022 at 12:06 PM. Reason: add link

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Blog Entries

If we knew how much french fries you would need to cool down in a 24 hour period, it would be easier for us to make an educated guess and advise you of what would be the better system

also what kind of evaporator you would be using, straight through IQF freezer, 2 pass IQF, spiral/gyro freezer?
    -Cheers-

Tycho

Quote Originally Posted by Josip View Post
    It is up to your decision, but maybe is not bad to read some other arguments ...

https://ammonia21.com/articles/10150...erfeed_ammonia

https://www.hbproducts.dk/en/knowled...x-systems/file

If you have only to cool down french fries in my opinion is better to go with simple as possible system ... but your project, your money ... your decision ....

Best regards, Josip

Josip,
    Scantec put in a lot of these "Low charge" systems in Australia, not sure how they come up with 30% savings on running cost , each situation different??
    They predominately use Sabroe SMC100, or smaller job CMO reciprocating compressor on VSD.
    Like European companies, put in a container set up ready to go.
    They sell turnkey project, so difficult to put in yourself, as a bit of risk.
    All controls & evaporators specialized.
    Evaporators have rifled tube finish internally for heat transfer.
    Can be used for freezer application.
    Not to say you cannot do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER1 View Post
    Josip,
    Scantec put in a lot of these "Low charge" systems in Australia, not sure how they come up with 30% savings on running cost , each situation different??
    They predominately use Sabroe SMC100, or smaller job CMO reciprocating compressor on VSD.
    Agree with you Ranger, savings depend on application and what is expected

Back in 2001-2002 or thereabouts, the company I worked for went bankrupt, so I I hired my self out to the highest bidder while I waited for the company to start back up with new owners.

I took on a job to install 2 HP liquid feed flooded horizontal platefreezers on a russian ship.

the plant was 2 bitzer open screw compressors, capacity regulation were the solenoids on the compressor for 50% and 100% if they needed to go to 25% there was a discharge/suction short circuit valve.

The plate freezers were run of the mill horizontal plate freezers, the company I worked for sent 2 copper distributors, so I had to cut the liquid distributor in half and for each hole I had to solder in one of the octopus legs

On top of the platefreezer we mounted a surge drum, with a float valve that controlled the HP liquid injection.

I don't really know why I had to install the copper distributor, because it was all in all a flooded evaporator.

so when the level in the drum on top dropped, it would open a valve that would inject HP liquid through the distributor into the plates to keep the refrigerant level steady.

when I started the project I didn't believe it would work at all, but I followed the instructions, my only change was that I added a non return valve to the liquid feed so they could defrost with hotgas with only two valves, closing suction and opening hotgas...

So that was a flooded system, no pumps
    -Cheers-

Tycho

Good information on evaporators & low charge ammonia systems

Industrial & Commercial Refrigeration Evaporators | Colmac Coil

Hi, Ranger and Tycho

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER1 View Post
    Josip,

I have not any knowledge about Scantec plants or system they use ... links were just to be read and maybe give some idea to search for some more articles all about ...

@Tycho ... agree with you too ... all savings depend on application and of course on a good design ...

In my opinion the best will be cooling down to some temp with filtered outside air and then finish cooling with ammonia plant ....

I remember one of my project in Egypt 1997.

... R22 and Bitzer semi hermetic screws, air condensers with oil cooling coil for compressors ...

... it was also about cooling and freezing half fried french fries (at home you need to put it in hot oil and finish in a very short time) ... design was quite ok ... cooling with ambient air from about 185*C down to about 35-40*C and then entering into freezing tunnel ...

.. but somehow somebody forgot to instal air filters on outside air cooling system (s..t hapens) so when we tried to taste the very first finished french fries we discovered it was crispy, unfortunately little to much ....

... our first batch was not the final one because it was necessary to adjust timers, palm oil temp, frying pane belt speed, freezing tunnel belt speed and many other small things ...

... of course potato processing system were stopped and cleaned through ... bloody job ... but done ... inlet air filters installed and french fries show continued ....

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.