Thread: new instal

new instal

looked at a unit that one of our customers had installed buy another company the manufacturer states 300mm clearance behind unit for airflow and service unit is only 80mm from wall when i asked about this the person installing said you only need clearance if the unit is on the floor.

Re: new instal

Seems like the guy installing knows more than the manufacturers recommended clearances then

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Get them to ask if the warranty is still current due to non-standard install.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Playing devil's advocate, I occasionally go against the manufacturer recommendation if there are issues with the unit sitting too far off the wall. JCC25e outdoor unit, they recommend 300mm, but a Marstair CKA25 only states 100mm - they are pretty much exactly the same in shape & design, so happy to push it back towards 100mm when required

And whilst I do like to follow the measurements in the install literature, it's simply not always possible. JCC25e cellar cooling maintains its indoor unit should be 1.8m from teh ground; most old pub cellars simply aren't 1.8m high!

80mm is a bit excessive - I doubt it will make any difference though. I suspect many installers just eyeball it anyway.
    Last edited by Rtic; 21-09-2021 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    Get them to ask if the warranty is still current due to non-standard install.
    Oh please - I've installed 1000s of systems, and am happy to report few calls for guarantees, but I have never had the supplier or manufacturer request to see my install or even quibble at all. Has compressor gone? Here's a new one - send the old one back and it's reimbursed.

I'm sure if there are recurring issues with a single installer they would ask to look, but 99% of the time that guarantee is going to be golden regardless of how it has been installed.

its not that is not to manufacture instructions its in a dirty area and its not possible to get behind to clean

So whats your input with this installation Martin.....is it worries about air flow or maintenance

Not sure that is his real reason, sounds a bit of a cop out, but I have seen a thermal image of a load of VRF condensers on the ground then the same install on framework a few feet higher. The higher units has a lower ambient as the airflow had improved.

In relation to your situation I don’t think this applies as it’s only a single unit, a split system I’m guessing.
    Regardless, anyone who puts it that close to the wall where you can barely get a brush behind it deserves a cold wet pimping hand around the chops!

Agreed with Rtic that the manufacturer clearances won’t make or break an install. We’ve all seen units boxed in, too close, blowing on each other etc, not saying it’s right but hey, they tend to dog on.

I’ve got one of those Worx pressure washers and also a head you can angle so it’s great for situations like you describe.

Cheers,
    Andy.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by Rtic View Post
    Oh please - I've installed 1000s of systems, and am happy to report few calls for guarantees, but I have never had the supplier or manufacturer request to see my install or even quibble at all. Has compressor gone? Here's a new one - send the old one back and it's reimbursed.

I'm sure if there are recurring issues with a single installer they would ask to look, but 99% of the time that guarantee is going to be golden regardless of how it has been installed.
    I agree with your comment completely, my reason for posting the question was to enable a question of the installer quality. They mayq well be a solid firm but the inference could have been that they were a bit suspect.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Code:
    Attached Images Attached Images

the cables through the clod room go straight through the metal with no protection from sharp edges

Jesus, that's awful. The pipework... somebody had zero pride in their work.

The 80mm gap is the least of their issues

There is no chance that has OFN through it whilst being installed
    I'd wager it's 50/50 they even vacuumed it

I wouldn't worry about any guarantee, as there is a 99% the Lone Ranger isn't going to return to that

That wiring needs attending to as a priority IMO

Have an honest word with the customer - If I was you, I'd be offering to act as an improver.

when you open the door the door switch shuts off the controller canceling the defrost timer so when you shut the door it runs for another 6 hrs before defrosting evaporator and has a 32amp trip on 2 small led lights

Pictures can only describe this install best.
    Does client see anything wrong?

hes not impressed but has paid for it as he was told buy the person who installed the he has 35 years experience and this is how you do instals. he had them cap off a gas pipe and remove a boiler to cap the gas he shut a valve and cut the pipe and left it with the end of the pipe open

Quote Originally Posted by martinw58 View Post
    hes not impressed but has paid for it as he was told buy the person who installed the he has 35 years experience
    Yeah 35 years experience of doing it wrong! FFS! The state of it!
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

when it comes down to it i suppose we all have our own level of pride in what we do and our own opinion of what we see as a reasonable standard of work and what we standards expect to see from others