Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

I've Reached the Senior Moment Age at last

I recently had a possible problem with the AC in my car, it was working but not very cold.

Now I know that R134a units are as good as the magic R12 but even so it used to be pretty good, I use it regularly so hadn't been expecting any low user leaks through the usual dry seals.

As the UK temperatures peaked a few weeks ago it beginning to get to me and I started looking at replacing my rather old and empty 'home use' bottle of R134a. I didn't really want to take it to an auto-shop for a super cool treatment in case they created more problems than I was ready for. I'd rather have cool than nothing.

Anyway, started checking prices for getting a replacement can of gas and came to a swift halt. At around 120GBP (185USD) per kilo retail it was beginning to look like it might be cheaper to pay the garage fees. So, I left it for a short while and considered my options.

So, there I was driving to the next town when I was muttering to myself that the AC still wasn't working and that I was going to have to bite the bullet and get it fixed because if nothing else I need for demisting the screen.

Looking down at the vent controls it dawned on me that I still had the temperature control set at half heat which is were I tend to set it when the cabin temperature drops too much when demisting.

Control turned back to 'blue' and lo and behold the system starts blowing out cold air. Well it would wouldn't it?

Reminder to self, check everything before you make a right fool of yourself in public.

Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Re: I've Reached the Senior Moment Age at last

Not related to conversation
    Last edited by RANGER1; 25-08-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Yup, that's the one Frank, 60 quid at Halfords.
    Sadly that ebay 9nexwould cost me more in fuel to collect it as he won't post.
    Retired March 2015

I've got a 13kg bottle in the shed (about half full now) of R134a that I took out of a chiller some time ago....comes in real handy for those car A/C jobs

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    I've got a 13kg bottle in the shed (about half full now) of R134a that I took out of a chiller some time ago....comes in real handy for those car A/C jobs
    Don't you just hate some people?
    Retired March 2015

If ever you are passing Nottingham, you are welcome to pop in - I'm sure I can spare a few grams

Years ago my colleague got a Isuzu Trooper with AC as a company vehicle, middle of summer and he wouldn't shut up all day how nice and cool his commute was. So while he wasn't looking I set the heater control to max.... He got nearly home before he realised....
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)