replace discontinued Atea A040315 in Whirlpool under counter Freezer AMB579K1G

Hi,

first time poster. I have an old Whirlpool AMB579-K-1-G 852857915310 under counter freezer (manual defrost) it must be 20 years old and is still going - well, after a recent manual defrost it beeped every few hours. Now the temp inside is -20 as I have a separate thermometer but I thought I'd replace the thermostat to see if it cured it. No luck though, the Atea A040315 is discontinued -the old Whirlpool part number was 481927129106 - It's a three pin (one is smaller for the signal to the pcb/lights I'm guessing) Does anyone know of a standard replacement part - I'm just after the function rather than physical fit.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Re: replace discontinued Atea A040315 in Whirlpool under counter Freezer AMB579K1G

Re: replace discontinued Atea A040315 in Whirlpool under counter Freezer AMB579K1G

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion frank, eSpares was one of the first places I looked but I think there must be multiple models for AMB579-k-1-g (I also have an under counter fridge which has the same model) because it's not the same thermostat (description says for 2 door models). Mine is an under-counter freezer only with no auto defrost function (so not a VT9 type from my research).

This multiple model issue has prompted me to look again at the 'Service' sticker on the freezer, as well as the model number ( 852857915310 ) there is a second number 509924024653 - not sure if that's relevant.

This is the exact part (note two large and one smaller pin), but every supplier I've searched says discontinued. Surely there is an equivalent.
    https://www.buyspares.co.uk/thermost...y=852857915310

This one is compatible and in stock. Scroll down the page and look for your model number - (on the left hand side)
    https://spares2repair.co.uk/fridge-t...a130599-1000mm

Thanks for the pointer Frank, I've emailed them to double check - measure twice, buy once

Hello again Frank. I've got hold of an A130057 (3 pin) and will attempt the replacement soon. I'm curious though, the freezer is still operating ok (it would seem, at least the temperature) and a basic thermometer inside reads around -20 +/- 1 or so degrees every time I've checked. The issue is that the alert light comes on a few times a day and beeps (I desoldered and removed the piezo - so I just get the light now). Does the alert pin on these thermostats have an independent threshold setting? It would seem that no matter if the temp is -20 -19 the alert comes on periodically - if there was a tolerance screw that had rusted and added a fraction of a mm to a setting would that be causing the issue?

I would assume that the 'Alarm' is due to the differential, i.e. the box rises in temp above the trigger level before the compressor is called for. Probably not unusual given the age of the machine.
    I would see if this problem disappears when you replace the stat.