Electronic expansion valve

Hello !

Can someone who have expirience in electronc expansion recommend me good one .

I want to replace 2 capillary expansion valve ( each 180 KW on water chiller -R407c) with electronic one .

Which one is best ? Alco , Danfoss or Carel ?

Thanks !

Blog Entries

Re: Electronic expansion valve

Hi
    Danfoss has more steps
    I used it
    And it works well.

I have a lot of experience with Danfoss ETS eev’s . They have a few stand alone controllers which most have basic set up in them , the latest version has a set up wizard .
    Different manufacturers have different types of drive for the orifice in their valves and I have had problems with valves driven via another manufacturers controller . This is down to wether the valve is a direct drive or a gear train drive as the current to drive the valve may not be sufficient even though it’s a stepper motor . Some controllers allow you to increase the current output , so to avoid problems stick to one manufacturers valve and driver as there properly matched

on the subject of electronic TXVs... (I have no experience with them)

I'm running shipping containers as blast freezers

just about to expand and add 5x 40ft containers, mostly already have all the cooling gear for them, there'll be 15hp of compressors for each container

container at ambient when we fill them, will normally be filled with approx. 8ton of meat, could be 12ton if we're very busy (pet food, 48hours to freeze is ok)

will electronic TXVs boost our cooling performance much? I'm thinking they'll be more efficient pulling the temp down from ambient, and then be able to match the load much more closely as the product starts to freeze

thermostats are currently set to -30'C (-22'F)

As far I know, in the case of Carel, the working philosofy is different, they use step by step motor, making the PID more accurate, the others use PWM control.

Thermostatic expansion valves become slower reacting as the temperature goes lower, this causes the suction pressure to fall , thereby reducing the compressors capacity. The superheat setting of the Tev tends to increase as the evaporating temperature falls due to less heat to warm the bulb. So the lower the evap temperature the lower the system duty which equals longer pull down times. The electronic expansion valve doesn’t have these disadvantages and will keep a lower superheat, a higher evaporating pressure and higher system capacity right through the working range. So you will end up with quicker pull down times, plus with lower condenser pressure control that electronic valves can work with then you will get quicker pulldown times plus considerable energy savings. I designed a couple of freezers for freezing dead chicks . They are quite difficult to freeze due to their feathers . They have little value so the cost of the freeze must be kept as low as possible.
    Using electronic expansion valves and investors on the condenser fans , the customer was very pleased with the results .