New refrigerants and refrigeration cycles.

Hey guys, I am currently a senior studying Mechanical Engineering and I am thinking about doing a specialization in AC and refrigeration. I was reading about vapor-compressed cycle. It is the most common used cycle of refrigeration and it has been used for over 100 years. I was wondering if there is space for improvement in this field, or if you guys know of new cycles or methods that are being made right now in this industry. Thanks.

Last edited by Josip; 26-03-2021 at 01:06 AM. Reason: to remove links

Re: New refrigerants and refrigeration cycles.

The refrigeration cycle starts and ends with the compressor. The refrigerant flows into the Compressor where it is compressed and pressurised. At this point, the refrigerant a hot gas. The refrigerant is then pushed to the Condenser which turns the vapour into liquid and absorbs some of the heat.
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 10-11-2020 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Spam advert removed.

Quote Originally Posted by alexz View Post
    The refrigeration cycle starts and ends with the compressor. The refrigerant flows into the Compressor where it is compressed and pressurised. At this point, the refrigerant is a hot gas. The refrigerant is then pushed to the Condenser which turns the vapour into liquid and absorbs some of the heat.
    Not strictly correct alexz

Have a search for Absorption Refrigeration Cycle

Knowledge — Refrigeration Cycle
    # 1: Heat of Vaporization
    # 2: Pressure changes the boiling point of a liquid
    # 3: Heat (energy) is neither created nor destroyed — it is merely transferred.
    # 4: There is no such thing as cold — only the absence of heat.

The refrigeration cycle contains four major components: the compressor, condenser, expansion device, and evaporator. Refrigerant remains piped between these four components and is contained in the refrigerant loop. The refrigerant begins as a cool vapor and heads to the first component: the compressor

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    The refrigeration cycle contains four major components: the compressor, condenser, expansion device, and evaporator. Refrigerant remains piped between these four components and is contained in the refrigerant loop. The refrigerant begins as a cool vapor and heads to the first component: the compressor
    Please refer to Frank's comment above.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by devashare View Post
    Hey guys, I am currently a senior studying Mechanical Engineering and I am thinking about doing a specialization in AC and refrigeration. I was reading about vapor-compressed cycle. It is the most common used cycle of refrigeration and it has been used for over 100 years. I was wondering if there is space for improvement in this field, or if you guys know of new cycles or methods that are being made right now in this industry. Thanks.

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.