Thread: Bmw 316

Bmw 316

I am going to evacuate and refill an AC system

Would any member care to confirm the refrigerant and the weigh in charge for this vehicle

Thx in advance

Re: Bmw 316

Hi abe,

Type of refrigerant should be stated on the compressor, TEV and the nameplate.

Charge up to a full sight glass, engine idle.

Chemi

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Yes Abe, charge to a full sight glass, hidden under the removable panel by the bulkhead.

If the gas ins't R134a then it will be a drop in for the old R12 systems, or you will need a drop in if it was R12.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK
    charge to a full sight glass, hidden under the removable panel by the bulkhead.

R12.
    By bulkhead to you mean Dashboard Brian?

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by Abe
    By bulkhead to you mean Dashboard Brian?
    If you like, the rear of the engine compartment where the pipes go through to the evaporator. Well that's where they used to be when I did 'em
    Retired March 2015

Hi Abe,

The correct charge weight, refrigerant info on a Beemer is always on a green sticker on the bonnet slam. Failing that I would need the body shape number (The E number) year and engine size. Alternately, Autoclimates tech help line is dead handy to have in your moby if you get stuck on stuff like this their number is 0906 5565756 but it is a premium rate line so you will be charged heavily. They can give you all of the info that you need from just the registration number though
    Karl

1993 was the last year for R-12 in North America. Saying that, fill it till it blows cold. No bubbles in the sight glass, high idle, full cabin fans. Worst comes to worst, measure the superheat at the outlet of the evap. (return line exiting the firewall).

What about oil? if all the oil in a car a/c comp. was drained out and there was no idea as to the amount and no tags giving info. as to the amount, what next and no numbers to call

Quote Originally Posted by jamcool
    What about oil? if all the oil in a car a/c comp. was drained out and there was no idea as to the amount and no tags giving info. as to the amount, what next and no numbers to call
    Take out the compressor and fill it to the oil level hole.
    Retired March 2015

bmw's are usually around 700 to 900 grms. start with say 650 and run full fan and recirc air. the air td over the cooler should be anything up to 12c. if it does not feel cold then add 50 grms at a time till charged. i tend to ignore the sight glasses on cars as the compressor speed and air over condensor speed change. you dont rev a fridge up do you?
    Takes a licking, keeps on ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by slingblade
    bmw's are usually around 700 to 900 grms. start with say 650 and run full fan and recirc air. the air td over the cooler should be anything up to 12c. if it does not feel cold then add 50 grms at a time till charged. i tend to ignore the sight glasses on cars as the compressor speed and air over condensor speed change. you dont rev a fridge up do you?
    Sling

When u say full fan, do you mean accelerator down? Engine on speed. Because someone said engine on idle

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Abe
    Sling

When u say full fan, do you mean accelerator down? Engine on speed. Because someone said engine on idle

Thx
    Abe, interior fan blower on full. i tend to run the engine at about 2500/3000 revs as its a general motorway crusing/urban driving average speed. the condensor fan will be pressure switched but by the same token the velocity of air at 70mph far outweighs the fan anyway. the best bet is to weigh the charge but a lot of the cars i do are accident repairs and the factory stickers are lost in the front end rebuild. as i said start at 650g and add 50g per time till it feels cold {no more than 900g}
    Takes a licking, keeps on ticking.

Thx Sling

Ill give it a go this Sunday