suction pressure too high while recharging

System is a Goodman ,1998, 1.5 ton, R-22
    There was poor cooling , with pressures low on both low and high sides, and many bubbles in sight glass. I found the leak at the evap, (they always seem to leak there) . I replaced evap. , system then held vacuum, and now I'm in the process of recharging with my dwindling supply of real r-22.
    But, halfway through the recharging, the suction pressure is too high, and I wonder if the compressor is on its last legs.
    I hate to waste more r-22 to completely fill it , and then discover I need a new compressor. I am not sure how to read these numbers, since I do know the system is still undercharged. Here are numbers while partly charged:

Suc press=102, ( why so high?) evap outlet temp is 66, which calculates to superheat of 8
    High side pressure is only 175, with outside air temp of 77, and condenser outlet temp of 87, for a subcool of only 3.
    Inside dry bulb=80, wet bub =70
    Sight glass shows mostly foam, rarely clear.
    Is it worth continuing to charge or can I conclude from the these numbers that I’ll need to replace the compressor ( or maybe replace entire system with new)

Blog Entries

Re: suction pressure too high while recharging

I would do a pump-down test. If it will not pump-down then you have a faulty discharge valve. If it pumps down but then the suction pressure climbs rapidly then you have a faulty suction valve.

Helpful resource.
    http://www.achrnews.com/articles/the...ction-pressure

i did a pump down just before i removed the old evap, and suction line went to zero. As i recall, after i turned off the compressor, there was a small rise in suction pressure, maybe a few pounds, then i repumped briefly, and back to zero.i might have done that two or three times and it did stay near or at zero.

moideen is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

have you done the pump down test after installing new evaporator as passandscore said.just confirm again.

should be able to pull 14 inch vac-
    Quote Originally Posted by msgale View Post
    i did a pump down just before i removed the old evap, and suction line went to zero. As i recall, after i turned off the compressor, there was a small rise in suction pressure, maybe a few pounds, then i repumped briefly, and back to zero.i might have done that two or three times and it did stay near or at zero.

Quote Originally Posted by moideen View Post
    have you done the pump down test after installing new evaporator as passandscore said.just confirm again.
    no, the pumpdown was done just prior to switching the evaporators.
    i do not understand why i should try it again now?

during the pump down( prior to switching evap's) suction line went to zero,then i stopped pumping, figuring there was no more refrigerant in the system. It might have pulled a vac if I had let it run longer, but i didin't see a need for that.