Leave it for Dad!

I recently became a father to a baby girl (now 7 weeks) and was interested to hear from any other fathers around the globe what period of paternity leave (if any) they were granted.
    In the u.k we get 2 weeks @ statutory pay, just over £100/wk unfortunately .I feel that 2 weeks is not enough time to spend with your new addition though I believe the government are in the process of extending the duration of paternity leave, of course with statutory pay or maybe even full pay from employers!!
    So any thoughts?

regards
    Jase

Re: Leave it for Dad!

The laws in the pipeline...

Will be extended to 3 months

But, since you chose to post this under " chit Chat"

I shant bore you with the heavy legal stuff...

So theres your itsy bitsy tale.......

Any opinions, statements and facts expressed in this message do not constitute legal advice in any shape or form and is given for a general outlook in nature. You are advised to seek appropriate and specific professional assistance from a regulated and authorised advisor for definitive advice.

Talking Re: Leave it for Dad!

Gongratulation for your new comer

Not sure about this rules here , since I was never married so never had a child . . . but it's a good thing to know so I will ask about it
    Last edited by botrous; 08-11-2005 at 09:59 PM.
    Engineering, sciences, math, physics and my brain will generate "not responding " soon

The law this time will be "framed" so larger companies are liable to different conditions from smaller ones.

As u can understand, no ways can small businesses afford to have their employees take that amount of time of.

So will depend who you work for
    Any opinions, statements and facts expressed in this message do not constitute legal advice in any shape or form and is given for a general outlook in nature. You are advised to seek appropriate and specific professional assistance from a regulated and authorised advisor for definitive advice.

congratulations on your new arrival.
    my latest bin lid came abou 4 mth ago. i looked into paying myself paternity pay, but when i saw the paper work i ,just couldn't be arsed with it.
    so off went the phone, and i had time off with no income.

But when my previous bin lid was born, the company i worked for at the time "arranged" "sick" leave for me and paid me a full 39 hours a week for two weeks.
    The best employer i ever had.

cheers

eggs

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyub
    The laws in the pipeline...

Will be extended to 3 months
    Nice one, can we get it back dated

Nope..............you need to be making more babies, to get that holiday

ahem, more future potential fridge techs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simple
    Nice one, can we get it back dated

Lifes not that.............." Simple""

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyub
    Nope..............you need to be making more babies, to get that holiday
    No chance, enough is enough, I was just looking forward to a years sabbatical!!

Congratulations on your new addition.

At the risk of sounding a killjoy what about those who choose to have no kids, are we being discriminated against since we can't apply for this leave?
    Karl

Thanks!
    That's a good point Karl. Maybe there should be some sort of payment granted to those employees who do not have children. Especially these days as everybody wants to be treated equally.
    Do you really think that this sort of thing would happen?

Jase

Govts in most western European countries ( except Uk) and Australia, pay you to have children because of declining birth rate

and you want to be paid for not having any????????????

Yep, I have a dog instead.

My dog will not be a drain on education, my dog will never claim dole, my dog will never come home in a Police car, she has her own private medical insurance so will never be a drain on the NHS with terminal hypochondria, she will never wear Burbury or sports wear, rob from vans, smash things up or vandalise things. She does get out of bed in the morning and does her job tirelessly.

How do you like your children, Fried or boiled?
    Karl

My dog will not be a drain on education, my dog will never claim dole, my dog will never come home in a Police car, she has her own private medical insurance so will never be a drain on the NHS with terminal hypochondria, she will never wear Burbury or sports wear, rob from vans, smash things up or vandalise things. She does get out of bed in the morning and does her job tirelessly.
    Your dog will also NOT become a teacher, earn any money to pay taxes, become a policeman, become a nurse or doctor, become a sports person, etc....

Nothing there will make you proud!!

Also your dog will be dead (sorry) when you are old and need someone to goto the shops for you, or when its your birthday you will have to buy your own cake...

Kids might be a pain in the ar$e but ask anybody if they would ever turn the clock back and just buy a dog.

When you die, you die.
    When I die, a part of me will live on.

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Hofmann
    Yep, I have a dog instead.

How do you like your children, Fried or boiled?

Its the new generation that will " pay" your pension

PENSION? Wazzat then? I'm one of those wierd guys who will work untill I die, the prospect of sitting in an armchair, leaking at both ends whilst I watch Richard and Judy mortifies me You are better off investing your money in property than handing your cash over to a pension company who will promptly fritter it away on new Porkers and then write to you explaining that your pension will only be worth a fraction of what you thought.

My wife and I are too selfish to bring up kids as neither of us want to give up our career, it would be unfair on the kid if we were to dump the little tyke on a nanny, dont believe that would offer a stable background. We have freinds with kids, and it is nice to watch them from behind a sheet of glass, but touch them EUGH!

And just before anyone tries to point out that I was young once, well NO I wasn't....ever
    Karl

Is that your dog in the avatar?....or am I barking up the wrong tree

Karl

We cant all be like peas in a pod...........diversity is good.......Some people like kids, others dont.

But Ill tell you this...........Seems unfair you dont get Paternity leave as such................But weigh it up......

Nor do u get endless nights staying up.............nappies...........doctors.............teething.........school fees.................the list is endless

So.............you still want that two weeks?????