Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

where are the transport refrigeration engineers?

O.K so i've been browsing this forum for almost a year now but there seems to be little input from transport ref. engineers

Perhaps they are all too busy and knackered out till 3.00 every morning trying to get it going because it's loaded and we've got no spares?

Anybody out there, execpt for the usual suspects?
    Last edited by djbe; 29-10-2005 at 01:10 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling

Re: where are the tarnsport refrigeration engineers?

Maybe hiding or working undercover . . . .
    Engineering, sciences, math, physics and my brain will generate "not responding " soon

Lurking

Watching

I dont know about tarnsport but there are plenty of TRANSPORT engineers on the forum.

What do you want to discuss. TK & Carrier seem fairly quiet at the moments as are changes in the dealer network. Having said that it will probably all change next week. So what do yyou want to discuss, start a topic and i am sure all the transport guys will reply

Regards

Fatboy

I look in quite often but I don't chat because I choose not to, after working all day on refrigeration units, I am not really bothered about talking about it, but I do watch, not everyone is from TK or Carrier, Other manufacturers do exist, although not as big in the top end of the market, we kick ass in the small van range

Quote Originally Posted by Simple
    Other manufacturers do exist, although not as big in the top end of the market, we kick ass in the small van range
    Well if I had to define kick ass in small vans it would just have to be either Otley or Melton.

Tk and Carrier really do suck when it comes to small vans, they should really stick with big stuff

Nice one Alpha, that's narrowed down where I work then, and yes I agree that TK and Carrier should stick to the big stuff. Its what they do best.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha
    Well if I had to define kick ass in small vans it would just have to be either Otley or Melton.

Tk and Carrier really do suck when it comes to small vans, they should really stick with big stuff
    Never heard of them, the forums slow on the mobile front so lets have a discussion about them. Why are they better and whats wong with the TK/Carrier stuff.

I have come across Hubbard and they seem OK.

LETS GO !!!

Regards

Fatboy

Otley is where Hubbard are located, Melton is Gah.

Otley is where Hubbard are located, .
    I should have realised, i have got lost enough times going there getting Scotsman spares. I am ok until i turn off the A140 and then i have had it. Do the highways agency in suffolk have a budget on roadsigns

Regards

Fatboy

Hi, getting lost, I know the feeling on that one, my first visit had me driving about for ages looking too

Back to what is the better unit, well I do not want to get too deep into this for one reason or another, all the manufacturers units pay my wages so that's good enough for me....

My only dealing with transport refrigeration was when someone that worked for M&S asked if we could devise a system that would release nitrogen into the back of the trailer, and be vented to atmosphere when the lorry arrived.

I just though, here we go, a call from Broadmoor again, and said no.

Please don't tell me I turned away a fantastic opportunity through ignorance, or was he really insane?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool
    My only dealing with transport refrigeration was when someone that worked for M&S asked if we could devise a system that would release nitrogen into the back of the trailer, and be vented to atmosphere when the lorry arrived.
    Done That on many occassions when pressure testing in the back of a 40ft artic and have lost count how many times i nearly passed out due to oxygen deprivation when the evap is leaking.

My question is WHY would you knowingly vent nitrogeon into a trailer

Regards

Fatboy

BOC Transhield rings a bell here.

Why are they better and whats wong with the TK/Carrier stuff.

And you correct me on my spelling!!

Anyway good way to start a discussion.

I've always found Hubbard and GAH to be generally good units. The only difference is that Hubbard are great to deal with if you want technical info and spares whereas GAH are not.

Carrier direct drives work great for 6-12 months until they get moisture in the system, why do they have this problem? No sign of refrigerant loss/leakage but frozen expansion valves seem to be the norm. change the drier and away you go again until next time.

TK's seem to work well except for those in cab controllers (solder joints crack on the PCB), stuck fan relays, stuck on relays. And I do wish they wouldn't use those ORS fittings, have you ever tried ordering any?

Finally at least Hubbard and T.K use autoclimate mount kits - great to fit with proper instructions and good spares backup.
    GAH seem to love their meccano set kits with the kind of instructions you get with a flat pack kitchen. (I can't speak for Carrier on this one).

Quote Originally Posted by djbe
    I've always found Hubbard and GAH to be generally good units. The only difference is that Hubbard are great to deal with if you want technical info and spares whereas GAH are not.

TK's seem to work well except for those in cab controllers (solder joints crack on the PCB), stuck fan relays, stuck on relays. And I do wish they wouldn't use those ORS fittings, have you ever tried ordering any?
    I Couldn't aggree more about Hubbard & Scotsman Backup. Everytime i have had a problem i just phone them, they sort it out over the phone and e-mail me a service manual. you can't get better than that from a technical dept.

As for TK Reeferjon i am sure will respond to your'e comments.

Regards

Fatboy

A response to djbe's interesting post,

Why are they better and whats wrong with the TK/Carrier stuff.
    I feel they are better due to simple reliable design.
    Parts are easy to get, price wise I feel they are acceptable and tech info is top class from both. Above all, reliability is the key and I think Hubbard and Gah rule on this. I guess I could also go into service costs, the British factorys tend to be allot less basically due to design and things being easier to service, a good example of this is if you want to check tev orifice/filter on a tk or carrier, whereas hubbard and gah are mostly flare the other two are brazed joints. Although it may seem a petty issue, when the customer has to get a van moving on it's deliverys I bet a gah or hubbard is out the door first working perfectly.

I would have to slightly disagree here with regard to gah, for us, they are very good, always there when we need them and always happy to give whatever tech info is required, although I would agree that Gah parts supply can be questionable at times but on the whole they get my thumbs up. Hubbard simply rule.

Carrier direct drives work great for 6-12 months until they get moisture in the system, why do they have this problem? No sign of refrigerant loss/leakage but frozen expansion valves seem to be the norm. change the drier and away you go again until next time.
    I feel this is down to the hose and clips they use, the clips seem very weak and the fitting in the hose appears to be a little suspect, although they do not appear to be leaking gas I feel the fault is with the hose/clip setup. I have also experianced the same problem with eurofrigo units, moisture problem that I point toward hose/clips. I know hubbard now use a very similar hose clip setup but as of yet, well I guess time will tell, but so far they seem good and tight. I think another issue with carrier is that most units use a condenser fan switch on/off. When the fan stops I have found suction is very very low and this I think is the intake of moisture.

I think this is a very valid problem. The control boxes are well over priced, what is it? Ł300+ or something for tk box? lae/ek33 boxes from gah and hubbard that very rarely go wrong cost a fraction of that, carrier cab control, well I cant say much against them, I have never had to replace them apart from when they were in the design of the old zepher180 styleeee.

GAH seem to love their meccano set kits
    I know where you are coming from on this, the disructiuons sometimes seem to be a bit weird but they have a good idea in thinking, take rwd transit with a cross beam compressor mount assy, how easy is that then to replace compressor/clutch coil, fantastic idea, 6 bolts or something similar and the whole mount drops down for service, fantastic

Alpha, I reckon your'e right with that Carrier hose set up.

Try around £500 list for the T.K in cab controller!

The Carrier controller is just a head unit for the microprocessor which is also around £500 list.

Compared with say £50.00 for an LAE/Eliwell etc.?

I've often wondered if an Eliwell controller could be used to replace the T.K one. Never had time to sit down and really get my head round the schematic to figure it out though.

Yes, it's possible to fit an eliwell or similar, I can't say it can be done to all but I have in the past fitted them to v90 and v250 with quiet good results, the only thing is though, the time it takes to mod wiring and loom and to sometimes run a bit of twin core up the roof the cost almost doesn't make it worth while, but yes, can be done.

Guess who makes those fine VP controllers in the first place....yep....so how come they are so err diferent from their standard controller range

Hi, could you elaborate a little more on that Reeferjon?
    VP, I am clueless on what the stands for/means.
    Thanks

hello every body...i have found gah and hubbards to be alot better than TK and carrier.......although there are some common problems i have come across i.e condenser fan fuses blowing after freezing/snowy periods and leaky expansion valve problems units that have been installed with somers are always better as they actually bother to leak test not like GRP and other companys

hi alpha
    was just browsing and i noticed a transport guy, who i presume is at hubbards (name "alpha") now i am trying to guess who it be, if you have been there a while we would have met. is t. baker and j. lepley still there?

would agree to a certain extent hub. and gah do make good units for vans but having worked for hubbard, gah, carrier and thermo-king, i would say that carrier make the best units, allways at the forfront of technology which the otley team are allways behind with and gah maybe half of hubbards old staff but the best half must have stayed put as gah are allways behind hubbard when it comes to new technology.

carrier uk(not a dealership) have office in spalding if you get tired of ground work and fancy some trailer work for a change. if you can get your foot in the door they are a good company to work for. and with the vector in every distributers now the works a lot easier than it used to be on trailers.

Hi evaporator, I do not work for them as such, well, not directly on the payroll anyway. I know if our little operation shut down here I would most certainly head to one of the factorys, probably to get my hands dirty again with the diesel units.

hi evaporator, i hear a rumour j. lepleys now involved with gah,something to do with trailers for one of the major supermarkets

Hi evaporator, I do not work for them as such, well, not directly on the payroll anyway. I know if our little operation shut down here I would most certainly head to one of the factorys, probably to get my hands dirty again with the diesel units.
    hi alpha
    your not x marshall are you most guys from your area have been there at some point and if you used to work on the diesels , is old penfold (colin) still there

Quote Originally Posted by stevemartial
    hi evaporator, i hear a rumour j. lepleys now involved with gah,something to do with trailers for one of the major supermarkets
    hi steve

last i heard he was retiring that was years ago
    i will have to enquire, i knew he was going from hubbard,
    but did not know he had gone accross to gah.
    he was an odd one he never said alot but if he was unhappy he would go all quite not reply to you just look blank or on the phone he would just go silent for ages
    all that time on the subs must have some affect

Quote Originally Posted by evaporator
    but having worked for hubbard, gah, carrier and thermo-king, .

Hi evaporator

Now you have me guessing about you!

hi alpha
    your not x marshall are you
    Hi evaporator, nah, had spell with Grenco for a few years a moon or two ago then left and went my own way when Marshall took over the transport side of things, been happily self employed ever since.

hi alpha
    your not x marshall are you , is old penfold (colin) still there
    Pt 1 SURELY you don't expect anyone to admit to THAT do you (Sorry John)
    Pt 2 Are you talking about Colin Lacey ?

Regards

Fatboy

Wakey wakey says alpha, it's gone rather quiet in here

Anyways, whats wrong with Marshalls or why should they not admit it?

I think it's gone quiet because the engineers are frozen and they can't use their fingers lol

Quote Originally Posted by Simple
    Hi evaporator

Now you have me guessing about you!
    Hi Simple

where have you worked then have we worked same place at some point

Quote Originally Posted by rdocwra
    Pt 1 SURELY you don't expect anyone to admit to THAT do you (Sorry John)
    Pt 2 Are you talking about Colin Lacey ?

Regards

Fatboy
    Hi rdocwra

yeh thats him he was part of the training team when i was there, very knowledgable but took alot of stick as penfold.

was there mid nineties, yourself ?

Wakey wakey says alpha, it's gone rather quiet in here

Anyways, whats wrong with Marshalls or why should they not admit it?

I think it's gone quiet because the engineers are frozen and they can't use their fingers lol
    most have been there at some point got there training and then moved on, i am surprised they dont start charging for it

TK Training, Been there done it. Colin lacey, Malcolm Miles, Mark Ballentyne i've upset them all.

Colin left Marshalls to set up his own training company in Rugby, Unfortunatly this didn't work out which was a shame because he covered all makes, not just TK.

I did see his picture in the local paper a cople of years ago, i think he was the UK/Europe Sales Manager (Something like that anyway) for a Refrigeration company out Huntingdon way, not sure who though.

Maybe Reeferjon or MRW might have more up to date info

Regards

Fatboy

Mornin.
    Last I saw of him he was heading up Munters (uk)....still the same.......nice guy when you get past the 'front'

JOhn.

Hi evaporator, nah, had spell with Grenco for a few years a moon or two ago then left and went my own way when Marshall took over the transport side of things, been happily self employed ever since.
    you must know old alan potter from grenco days he moved to marshall's at thurrock when they took over nice chap always looking out for all the lads best interests , he was like a union rep for free

Quote Originally Posted by Reeferjon
    Mornin.
    Last I saw of him he was heading up Munters (uk)....still the same.......nice guy when you get past the 'front'

JOhn.
    Hi John

i dont know munters but the name rings a bell, have to look on there website and see what they do and your right about old colin he is a nice fellow.

so many people knowing the the same people there is a good chance we have all worked together at some point
    and just cant tell who we are talking to, makes you wonder done it.

you must know old alan potter from grenco days he moved to marshall's at thurrock when they took over nice chap always looking out for all the lads best interests , he was like a union rep for free
    I do indeed remember alan potter..

and just cant tell who we are talking to, makes you wonder done it.
    yes.

Hi rdocwra

yeh thats him he was part of the training team when i was there, very knowledgable but took alot of stick as penfold.

was there mid nineties, yourself ?
    Hi Evaporator,

Just dug out my old course certificates.
    First Course 1998, last one 2002.

Another name to add to the list:- David Luckett, was technical manager at Smart Ltd. Ex Carrier. Anyone heard of him recently

Regards

Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by rdocwra
    Hi Evaporator,

Just dug out my old course certificates.
    First Course 1998, last one 2002.

Another name to add to the list:- David Luckett, was technical manager at Smart Ltd. Ex Carrier. Anyone heard of him recently

Regards

Fatboy
    dont know him but i know of a stuart smith also ex carrier

whats stuart upto these days evaporator? I knew he was at carriers but didnt know he since moved on.. I remember him very well from grenco.

whats stuart upto these days evaporator? I knew he was at carriers but didnt know he since moved on.. I remember him very well from grenco.
    the way i heard it he sold out on all his mates at grenco
    when marshalls took over and put a stop to perks they all used to get including himself, never known anyone to have a good word to say about him, especially the guys who worked with him at carrier, they hated him

alright andy bin diggin he got boot carrier milton keynes then joined smart not know what he does now

Hi Just having quick read through some of the post,There was a Stuart Smith worked with me a Grenco Camberely with JJ then Tony Fuller as service manager.Would this be the same chap?Also Trevor Been,Martin Allen, Lyne Kind.

Regards Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by bernard
    Hi Just having quick read through some of the post,There was a Stuart Smith worked with me a Grenco Camberely with JJ then Tony Fuller as service manager.Would this be the same chap?Also Trevor Been,Martin Allen, Lyne Kind.

Regards Bernard
    hi bernard
    thats the one, never met him myself and sounds like i would not want to, let alone work under him.

well i really wasn't expecting the thread to turn like it has, meet someone that has no issues.

Hi Alpha

Do you also remember Dave Taplin and Pete luchiano,both really nice guys.

well i really wasn't expecting the thread to turn like it has, meet someone that has no issues.
    Hi Alpha,

The problem with Transport is that most things are standard and tend not to change much where in other forms of refrigeration things seem to change on a monthly basis.

I know there are other makes but mostly in this country you have TK or Carrier as the big two and these tend to bring out new units every couple of years and even then they are a modified version of an old design. (SMX,SMX-II, SR) all based on the same principle just controller changed. Maxima/Maxima II once again nothing major. Until Carrier brought out the TR1000 Genisis and the Vector things are fairly static.

Now Take one of the other forums - a/c for example.
    There are loads of different makes, different gasses, different designs depending where it is. VRV/Wall mount/ceiling cassette/Ducted/ceiling suspended and to top it off you may find the indoor and outdoor units are different makes

I think TK were looking into Co2 last time i heard but i havn't been to the CV show for a couple of years as i keep upsetting people there so not sure whats the latest thing. Perhaps Reeferjon can let us know whats new and we can have a chat about the way "transport" is going

Regards

Fatboy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast