Thread: Need for Glycol

Need for Glycol

We are replacing our ice water system with a chilled water system. The supplier says we have to use glycol since temp is 2C. Upto what temperature can we operate this R22 based system without using any glycol. Is 4-5C OK?
    Last edited by Hemant Anand; 23-07-2005 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling corrections

Thumbs up Re: Need for Glycol

welcome hemant, in the office building I look after we use large flooded systems using r22. the chilled water flow temp is set for 6 degrees centergrade. We have had it down to 5 degrees but any lower and we run the risk of bursting the tubes. remember the temperature in the evaporator will be lower than the leaving temperature of the water so I would be cautious about running a water chiller any lower than 4 or 5 degrees.

Re: Need for Glycol

I would be cautious about running a water chiller any lower than 4 or 5 degrees.
    Hi Dill

I think you meant without using glycol.

Conventional design says that 4.5 dC (preferred is 5 dC) is the lower limit for normal shell and tube design chilers. Special chillers are desingned which can get the LWT down to about 2 dC or a bit lower. One of this type is manufactured by Chester Jenson or Mueller Co. in the US. One name for this type chiller is a sliding film type.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by TXiceman
    Conventional design says that 4.5 dC (preferred is 5 dC) is the lower limit for normal shell and tube design chilers. Special chillers are desingned which can get the LWT down to about 2 dC or a bit lower. One of this type is manufactured by Chester Jenson or Mueller Co. in the US. One name for this type chiller is a sliding film type.

Ken
    Thanks a lot.

yes 4 degrees is possible with a good flow over in the tubes.
    if the r22 is inside the tubes you can go deeper as the ice will build around the tubes.
    why do you need to go lower?
    and if you need 0 why not use ice slurry
    at sea we make the slurry and it is nice 0 with some seawater around it.
    computer shooter
    paul deelen
    +31653300739