mciver_53 Guest

Crankcase Heater Failure

Hello,

New to re site,

I was replacing a Carrier 06-E compressor and found that the crankcase heater, (plug into sump type) failed overnight. I checked it that afternoon all ok and found it not working and open cct the next morning. I had the system with oil to the base of the sightglass, and had left the system under vacuum overnight ready to charge the next day. It was a very old heater id say 15 years plus.

My boss has now advised me to leave crankcase heaters off while evacuating a system? Any truth to this? I would have thought its best to leave them on.

Cheers, James

Re: Crankcase Heater Failure

i wouldn't have thought it would make a blind bit of a difference to be honhest!!

Quote Originally Posted by mciver_53 View Post
    Hello,

New to re site,

I was replacing a Carrier 06-E compressor and found that the crankcase heater, (plug into sump type) failed overnight. I checked it that afternoon all ok and found it not working and open cct the next morning. I had the system with oil to the base of the sightglass, and had left the system under vacuum overnight ready to charge the next day. It was a very old heater id say 15 years plus.

My boss has now advised me to leave crankcase heaters off while evacuating a system? Any truth to this? I would have thought its best to leave them on.

Cheers, James

I can't see the vac causing the problem.

If the oil was low that could cause it to fail, but you
    said it had enough oil inside.

Things fail and it is more than likely to be pure coinsidence.

taz

Quote Originally Posted by mciver_53 View Post
    Hello,

New to re site,

Cheers, James
    Hi :
    i cant see any connection ,a simple murphys law,in action,heating the oil is helpfull in removing moisture and refrigerant
    THE DEFINITION OF A SMART PERSON IS ONE WHOM LEARNS FROM HIS MISTAKES!!!

Come on. Eveybody knows that the vapour pressure of refrigerant is a function of temperature. The higher the oil temperature, the better the vacuum.
    It's written in each and every manual of compressors: keep the heaters on while evacuating.
    RTFM!

mciver_53 Guest

Thanks guys, with some bosses, even when your right, your wrong. Will keep heaters on when pulling vacs anyways, thanks James..