Seeking info about "Sterns" UK Company

Hi All

I'm trying to find any information about a UK company possibly called Sterns or Sterns Engineering.

Google searches have so far turned up nothing, though I believe they were contracted to build cold rooms in the middle east during world war II, and could possibly have been based near the town of Corby.

Any information or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Drew

Re: Seeking info about "Sterns" UK Company

Quote Originally Posted by drew71 View Post
    Hi All

I'm trying to find any information about a UK company possibly called Sterns or Sterns Engineering.

Google searches have so far turned up nothing, though I believe they were contracted to build cold rooms in the middle east during world war II, and could possibly have been based near the town of Corby.

Many Thanks

Drew
    Hi Drew Is It L Strene &co I served my apprenticeship with them in the 60`s In Glasgow. Star Refrigeration Rose out of the ashes of Sternes. Try Contacting Doc Pearson @ Star. He was the head design engineer for Sternes.
    By the way He is dr of engineering hence the doc

Regards Norm
    Last edited by Toosh; 24-05-2008 at 04:26 AM. Reason: missed something out
    My wife used to say you never listen to a word I say at least I think that what she said

there was also a sterne house at derby near us,most of there operation was then moved in the 1970,s to prestcold where i was working as a young bloke,that was at edwin st, daybrook, nottingham,uk. some of the engineers ended up there aswell as the stock.so it was part of prestcold from then on and i would think it just died out. hope that helps.

Hi All

Many Thanks

Drew

Sterne as a company ended in the 70's and were merged into the larger refrigeration companies at the time.

Try theses links
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/n...w.asp?ID=B1796

http://www.collectbritain.co.uk/pers...00000U07581000

http://www.maggs.com/title/NH42304.asp

http://www.maggs.com/title/NH42304.asp

http://www.ior.org.uk/ior_general.php?r=XTEUMWJWAB

Sterne started of as a gas engine designer / builder and follows a very similar history to J&E Halls.

All the best in your search.

taz.

Hi Guys

I'd just like to thank you all very much for the assistance, it is greatly appreciated, I am trying to do some family history.

Toosh, old gas bottle & taz24 (if you are ever in Sydney I owe you guys a beer !)

Cheers !

Drew

Hi Guys

I'd just like to thank you all very much for the assistance, it is greatly appreciated, I am trying to do some family history.

Toosh, old gas bottle & taz24 (if you are ever in Sydney I owe you guys a beer !)

Cheers !

Drew

Beer!! Beer!! did somone offer a Beer??

Wheres my passport

Your welcome. If you find anything usfull let us know because its all our history (big family is the fridge family) and you never know we might be able to help out again.

Cheers and all the best
    taz.

Hi Drew, you are welcome and the beer might be sooner than you think, I Live in New Zealand now

Toosh
    My wife used to say you never listen to a word I say at least I think that what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Toosh View Post
    Hi Drew, you are welcome and the beer might be sooner than you think, I Live in New Zealand now

Toosh
    Its an open ended offer Toosh, if you are ever over this way I would very much like to buy you a beer.

Cheers

Drew

I hesitate to post this here as I suspect it will be of limited interest to others, I do however hope it will lead to some more information (thanks to RE I now have the right city and a lead on a book I am about to purchase)

I knew that my grandfather like my father worked in refrigeration, I don't remember my grandfather ever calling himself a refrigeration mechanic let alone engineer he was a "fitter by trade"

My family left Scotland for Australia in the late 70's. I have an Aunt in the town (Scottish enclave) of Corby

In the last two weeks I have learn't.....

My great grandfather worked for Sterne's "boy and man" (thats all my aunt seems to know)

My grandfather worked for Sterne's in Hillington ?(I'm not sure if thats a town or an industrial estate) from the age of 14 or 15 until the late 1950's
    I'm told he managed the construction of the first ice skating rink in Ireland and was a civilian contractor building cold rooms in Cairo during World War II

thats the story so far

Cheers

Drew

(Fitter by trade)

thats interesting, nice to try and find out more,i can only give snipets of faded memories as its a long time ago,but i do remember going to the old co-op dairy site in sinfin derby and there was a big old plant room with several pre war large ammonia sterne belt drives purring away,that was a lovely site to see,that was in the early seventies i think,cleared yer chest too

some of the old sterne guys from prestcold nottingham ended up at star refrigeration in derby.

I was told many years ago by my college tutor that Star were formerly known as stern as they used to do a lot of refrigeration on boats!

hi all

i'm trying to find any information about a uk company possibly called sterns or sterns engineering.

Google searches have so far turned up nothing, though i believe they were contracted to build cold rooms in the middle east during world war ii, and could possibly have been based near the town of corby.

Many thanks

drew
    hi drew
    i remember stern domes they were made in scotland there open compressors were named sternett fc lovelock where agents ask old staff to look in ther bible larg old catalouge 2000 pages blue cover

Twinkle Guest

Hi

I worked for Sternes (Prestcold, Hillington, scotland) in the 70's until it was closed 1979. British Leyland owned it by then. The company closed when the grant for a new AO compressor fell through because of a change of government.

British leyland transferred the work downsouth to England.

Hope that helps, I worked in the offices at the time, but I do remember the workers in the glasshouse had to have free milk to help reduce their absorption of cadium, and a break every 15 mins. (they played cards)

the prestcold guys ,2 days for prestcold,the rest of the week for the back pocket the service engineers life was an easy one,but look around them [sweet ]R bodies

Drew,

My father in law was employed with Sterne's at their office in Newcastle, he started his employment with them when he was 15 and I believe he was with them until the seventies,

He is now in his early eighties and does often reminisce of times gone by and when he is next around I Will ask him to post a detail of two of times gone by at Sterne's.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hello

Know this is an old thread but I also served my time at Sternes in Newcastle from 1965-70.

Cool Blues whats name of your father in law? TB by any chance

regards
    AWW

Alan,

reverse the letters to BT and you have Bill Tegerdine,

Cheers,

Mark

Hello Cool Blues

remember 'Tangy" I believe and actually stayed with him and his family 1 night when he lived in Carlisle.

Hope all well

Alan Wolf

Hi Alan,

Yes all is well with Bill,

Now in his 80th plus year and he still out there with the gauges, earning a few shillings to keep his 5 Grand Children in good order, 3 with Carol and I and 2 with Christine and Alan,

Sadly Brenda is no longer with us she passed away in 90,

I will pass on your best wishes and get him to tap out a note when he his next over,

Cheers,

Mark

sharonzhang Guest

I am a salesgirl whose company produce digital temperature controller, temperature recorder and pressure instruments. Our products are mainly used in refrigeration equipment. I want to promote our products to factory of cold chain equipment, while I do not know where the cold chain logistics get the cold chain equipment, such as cold room,refrigerated vehicle. Whom can i contact? The installer of cold room, refrigerated warehouse? I guess the engineer on this forum can help me. Any reply is appreciated very much. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by sharonzhang View Post
    I am a salesgirl whose company produce digital temperature controller, temperature recorder and pressure instruments. Our products are mainly used in refrigeration equipment. I want to promote our products to factory of cold chain equipment, while I do not know where the cold chain logistics get the cold chain equipment, such as cold room,refrigerated vehicle. Whom can i contact? The installer of cold room, refrigerated warehouse? I guess the engineer on this forum can help me. Any reply is appreciated very much. Thank you!

What has this got to with this thread

sweat nothing Norm

Hope u r well
    AWW