shogun7 Guest

Open Type Compressors

Refrigerant and oil leakage is a factor on open drive centrifugal chillers. As the drive shaft from the
    compressor drive unit is connected to the open motor outside of the compressor housing a “rear seal” must
    be used to ensure minimum leakage of oil and refrigerant through this seal. Open drive seals are designed
    to minimize leaks in two modes during operation of the chiller when the compressor shaft is rotating and
    during a shutdown period when the shaft is stationary. As seals are designed to
    accommodate both conditions, along with normal contact wear on the seal, both oil and
    refrigerant will leak through the seal. Refrigerant loss increases as the seals dry, during long
    shut down periods. The industry average loss of refrigerant entrapped in the oil leaking through
    the rear seal is 2% of the full chiller refrigerant charge annually. Oil leakage varies and is
    measured by collection in measured containers
    My question is ..are these OK to use in EU?

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Open Type Compressors

I should imagine that hermetic as against open-drive would be the preferred option nowadays. Mind you I don't deal with these beasties so hopefully someone more qualified should have the answer.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015