Telematics integration

Can anybody help ?. We provide trailer telematics devices GPS etc etc. We want to integrate it with reefer trailers, initially Carrier and Thermo King so that we can remotely gather temperatures and any other data available.

I need to know what data can be easily collected, is there typically a data port we can gather the data from ? what is this data bus, RS232 / 485, CAN etc.

Does anyboday have the protocols for communicationg via to the fidge units ?

We are willing to pay for any consultancy work

Thanks

Telematics

Re: Telematics integration

Telematics
    Just an idea for a step in the right direction. I work with BMS and HVAC. In the past few years a nearly open proticol system has been available to put onto proprietry control systems. Tridium Nyagara can read and write to ports of controllers, not sure if the Tridium is applicabe to reefers but it can collect data from thousands of different controllers such as carrier, siemens, trend etc.

Carrier uses RS232, It runs on a proprietary protocol. You can collect just about all of the data on the micro. The Advance micro needs Datatrak turned on in order to open up the serial port. The Summit micro may have the port open, it depends on the eeprom revision. The newer summits need a special eeprom to enable Datatrak. I believe 3.26 and older will work without doing anyting else. You will probalby have to get with Carrier to become a certified Telematics provider.

Hi Boss302,

I have tried communicating with Carrier (and Thermo King) here in the UK. They do not seem to want to be helpful, of course I may just be posing the questions in the wrong way, to the wrong person.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Telematics View Post
    Hi Boss302,

I have tried communicating with Carrier (and Thermo King) here in the UK. They do not seem to want to be helpful, of course I may just be posing the questions in the wrong way, to the wrong person.

Thanks

Hi Telematics,

You check to the this web adress for carrier units ..

http://www.corp.carrier.com/static/C.../10629RevA.pdf

Do you need communication which units??Trailer ,truck or container??

Best regards.

Reefer mechanic.

Hi Reefer Mechanic

We want to communicate with trailers, at this point I do not know the model number / names, certainly all current models and possibly back for the last 5 years

Thanks

Telematics

Quote Originally Posted by Telematics View Post
    Hi Reefer Mechanic

We want to communicate with trailers, at this point I do not know the model number / names, certainly all current models and possibly back for the last 5 years

Thanks

Telematics

Hi Tim,

You should check below mationed web adress..Its very good ....

http://rapidshare.de/files/46646385/...ac_1_.pdf.html

Also i will sen you e-mail about wintract software

see you

best regards.

reefer mechanic.

This senario is a common issue amongst Telematics corps......
    Quite some time back, both TK and Carrier decided that they could make good money (and rightly so) handling their own data. They invested quite heavily in data handling and as a result have a good market....problem is they also made their own protocols copyright....you can sniff them if you choose to but can't commercialy use them/access them.
    Practice Truth, Fear Nothing.

HI Reeferjon. Carrier seems to have a product called Datatrak TK have a similar product "i-box" both these seem to offer 3rd party telematics providers the ability to gather he data via an RS232 serial port avoiding the need to communicate diectly with the reefer. Do you know anything about these products

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reeferjon View Post
    This senario is a common issue amongst Telematics corps......
    Quite some time back, both TK and Carrier decided that they could make good money (and rightly so) handling their own data. They invested quite heavily in data handling and as a result have a good market....problem is they also made their own protocols copyright....you can sniff them if you choose to but can't commercialy use them/access them.
    Telematic,

You might be best talking to people like Marshalls they seem to do bit on telematic stuff for compaines.

Hi Telematics - not sure if you got this reply before but we are already communicating with reefer containers and now starting trailers. We already have the telematics device and have a relationship with the reefer makers and thus we have the protocols. Not sure if this will help you as you may be trying to do this yourself since you have your own devices but if you want devices and data delivery service, just let me know and we can provide this to you. Thanks

normally you would have to present to carrier corp you business structure etc before you can actually purchase the protocols, I believe they cost approx 20K US dollars.....!
    you are better off using Rs232 and checking the dat you get from the micros and simulate alarm faults etc...
    As mentioned before in the above thread you would have to activate the coms ports on the advance micro using a datatrak card which has 10 shots on it. the standard micro or summit micro needs to have a eprom chip of rev 3.30 or higher.