Indesit FROST FREE Fridge Freezer - fridge not cold

I'm hoping somebody can help me out.

I've got an Indesit Frost Free Fridge Freezer which has a problem with the fridge part. It is no longer going cold. Freezer works absolutely fine as it always has done.

I've searched and searched in here and elsewhere and have gotten some good advice (including how un-frost free frost-free applicances are) and how to resolve the problems with it not going cold. The common cause seems to be ice blocked channels or around the coils.

I switched the fridge freezer off on Sunday evening and emptied the fridge. I then started putting bowls of boiled water in the fridge and closing the door (in the hope that if it was ice it would help melt it - I now realise that this may have been a mistake as the water would have cooled and possibly made it worse, but anyway). I then left the door open overnight and continued the next day with the bowls again.

Today I have switched the fridge freezer back on, but the fridge is still not getting cold. Freezer continues to work fine.

I have taken a couple of pictures of the channels in the fridge in the hope that this may help somebody give me some help.

As I am swaying towards the fridge freezer being passed it and needing replaced, I am now planning on pouring some boiling water down the channels in the pics in the hope that the water will come out somewhere and confirm they are either unblocked or blocked and I can then go forward from there.

Can anybody suggest anything else before I replace it?

[NOTE ON THE PICS: The first picture is of the channel at the back of the fridge where there is normally a cover and a dial to turn for the temperature. The channel is covered by a flap and has a metal bar which I assume is the thermostat at the top. The second pic is near the bottom of the fridge and I assume is some sort of drain channel - although there are two channels within this slo (which aren' quite visible)]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Indesit FROST FREE Fridge Freezer - fridge not cold

Just as a quick update, I did pull the fridge freezer out last week but could not see any panels or anything at all that would allow me to get access to the coils and check them for ice. All I had was a very warm compressor, an empty drip tray.

Blog Entries

Does the fan works when fridge is powered up and door switch is pressed?

Quote Originally Posted by nike123 View Post
    Does the fan works when fridge is powered up and door switch is pressed?
    When the door is closed there is a a humming / gentle buzzing noise. When the door is opened the noise stops.

I assume it is a fan but I can't actually see anything (even when I looked at the back of the fridge freezer).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pauby View Post
    When the door is closed there is a a humming / gentle buzzing noise. When the door is opened the noise stops.

I assume it is a fan but I can't actually see anything (even when I looked at the back of the fridge freezer).

Do you feel air flow at openings?

Blog Entries

Do you feel air flow at openings? Check by smoke or light paper.

Do you feel air flow at openings? Check by smoke or light paper.
    It is difficult to check because I can't find the button that tells the fridge the door is closed (I think it's built into the hinge?).

However there is about a second or so between opening the door and the fan noise going off so I can quickly open it and put my fingers into the channels but there is no air there at all. The channels also don't feel cold (as you'd expect them to if cold air was blowing through them).

Blog Entries

It is difficult to check because I can't find the button that tells the fridge the door is closed (I think it's built into the hinge?).

However there is about a second or so between opening the door and the fan noise going off so I can quickly open it and put my fingers into the channels but there is no air there at all. The channels also don't feel cold (as you'd expect them to if cold air was blowing through them).
    Than that is your problem. Fan doesnt blows air!
    Either air path is blocked or fan blade is drop from fan motor.

Than that is your problem. Fan doesnt blows air!
    Either air path is blocked or fan blade is drop from fan motor.
    Which is more likely?

How do I sort it, assuming it's the air path being blocked (I assume by ice)? Would my suggestion of pouring boiling water into each channel in turn make matters worse?

Blog Entries

Which is more likely?

How do I sort it, assuming it's the air path being blocked (I assume by ice)? Would my suggestion of pouring boiling water into each channel in turn make matters worse?

Yes, leave it off (unplug it from power supply) for at least 48 hours and then check again. That should be enough for thaw ice if that is the case.
    If that doesn't help you need to reach fan by dismantling his enclosure.

Yes, leave it off (unplug it from power supply) for at least 48 hours and then check again. That should be enough for thaw ice if that is the case.
    If that doesn't help you need to reach fan by dismantling his enclosure.
    It's been off for about 2 days already before I started it again earlier today.

Blog Entries

It's been off for about 2 days already before I started it again earlier today.
    Then it is not ice the problem.

So it's a fan problem? I assume it's not easy to get at the fan (as I can't see anywhere to get access to any panels on the front or the back)?

So it's a fan problem? I assume it's not easy to get at the fan (as I can't see anywhere to get access to any panels on the front or the back)? Is the fan ONLY used for the fridge and not the freezer (as the freezer is working fine)?

Blog Entries

So it's a fan problem? I assume it's not easy to get at the fan (as I can't see anywhere to get access to any panels on the front or the back)? Is the fan ONLY used for the fridge and not the freezer (as the freezer is working fine)?
    I am not familiar with your model. I was speaking generally for that type of equipment.

I am not familiar with your model. I was speaking generally for that type of equipment.
    Can you advise ANYTHING I can try just now? As it is destined for the skip now, I am willing to try anything to ensure that is definitely not repairable. Should try the boiling water? Should I try and see if there is some panel that comes off on the back? Any help at all would be gratefully received

Blog Entries

Can you advise ANYTHING I can try just now? As it is destined for the skip now, I am willing to try anything to ensure that is definitely not repairable. Should try the boiling water? Should I try and see if there is some panel that comes off on the back? Any help at all would be gratefully received

Do not pour any water. You could make additional damage.
    Be patient someone with more experience in domestic refrigeration will soon help you.

In the meantime, check this specialized forum.

Do not pour any water. You could make additional damage.
    Be patient someone with more experience in domestic refrigeration will soon help you.
    I took the firdge out from where it was and had a better look at it. Took the radiator grill off the back and took the thermostat off the inside of the fridge so I could get access to the hole where I assume the cold air comes through. The good or bad news is that this, and the bottom drainage holes are clear. I have also discovered that this is not an Indesit but a Servis Fridge Freezer - model MO330W (my apologies - I managed to find a small sticker with these details on - there is no badge on the fridge itself). I will post in the forum you suggested, however I will keep monitoring this post. If somebody could tell me how to get to the fan to check it that would be much appreciated.

Just as a further update to this, after I moved the fridge and switched it back on I did blue tack a tissue over the top hole where the thermostat was and there is a small draught coming out of there (the tissue moves very slightly). Between the door opening and the light going on, there is a small delay and I managed to put my fingers into the top hole and fee a small draught which stops once the light, and the fan, go off. This is only a small draught though. Not sure if it's enough to cool the fridge down. I have posted on the UK White Goods forum too.

Dear I have worked for domestic refrigerator.
    I want certain informations

1. How old you fridge is?
    2.First time when the problem is reported?
    3.After defrost at the back side of the Refrigerator, is some water is coming out after the deforst?

Please answers these question so that i can suggest you the solution of your probelm.

Quote Originally Posted by amitsaxena View Post
    Dear I have worked for domestic refrigerator.
    I want certain informations

1. How old you fridge is?
    2.First time when the problem is reported?
    3.After defrost at the back side of the Refrigerator, is some water is coming out after the deforst?

Please answers these question so that i can suggest you the solution of your probelm.
    1. Fridge is about 4 years old. 2. Problem started about a week ago (approximately). 3. No water came out after I let it sit for two days starting on Sunday. This made me realise it wasn't ice.

A further update. I took a panel off that I found inside the freezer. Behind it was the fan and the coils. The bottom of the coils had a large block of ice attached (just attached to the bottom underneath the coils) so I defrosted that with a hair dryer. I then switched the fridge freezer on and the fan started spinning after about a minute so I now know that works. I've put it all back together again and have popped it back in the corner. Will wait for a couple of hours to let things settle and switch it back on again and come back here.

Blog Entries

A further update. I took a panel off that I found inside the freezer. Behind it was the fan and the coils. The bottom of the coils had a large block of ice attached (just attached to the bottom underneath the coils) so I defrosted that with a hair dryer. I then switched the fridge freezer on and the fan started spinning after about a minute so I now know that works. I've put it all back together again and have popped it back in the corner. Will wait for a couple of hours to let things settle and switch it back on again and come back here.

Where water from melting ice has gone? Is drained water stayed in that enclosure or it is drained out of fridge to some pan.
    Also, that ice buildup is consequence of faulty defrost circle which need to be resolved or you will have same thing in short time.
    You need to find defrost heater and check if it is OK. If not, change it, if yes, than thermostat (defrost relay, control PCB) is faulty.

Where water from melting ice has gone? Is drained water stayed in that enclosure or it is drained out of fridge to some pan.
    Also, that ice buildup is consequence of faulty defrost circle which need to be resolved or you will have same thing in short time.
    You need to find defrost heater and check if it is OK. If not, change it, if yes, than thermostat (defrost relay, control PCB) is faulty.
    The water did drain away into the pan at the back as the drain hole wasn't blocked. The block of ice was only about 2 inches thick, 2 inches broad but about 2 foot across (as it went from one end of the coils to the other). It was, relative to the size of the coils, pretty small. What I will do is, as suggested elsewhere, leave the doors open for a few hours every month to let it defrost manually even though this is a frost free. If it does ice up again I will do as you suggest and see if the heater is faulty, however if it is this won't affect anything in the freezer except ice buildup? So it would effectively become a non-frostfree fridge freezer that I would defrost manually but still work fine in every other way?

Blog Entries

The water did drain away into the pan at the back as the drain hole wasn't blocked. The block of ice was only about 2 inches thick, 2 inches broad but about 2 foot across (as it went from one end of the coils to the other). It was, relative to the size of the coils, pretty small. What I will do is, as suggested elsewhere, leave the doors open for a few hours every month to let it defrost manually even though this is a frost free. If it does ice up again I will do as you suggest and see if the heater is faulty, however if it is this won't affect anything in the freezer except ice buildup? So it would effectively become a non-frostfree fridge freezer that I would defrost manually but still work fine in every other way?
    Not exactly. Since evaporator efficiency is dependent on air flow and that air distribution is reduced when evaporator is frosted, it need constant defrosting to keep evaporator free of ice.
    If excessive frosting is on evaporator, his capacity is greatly reduced and your compressor and food is endangered.
    You need to adress that problem as soon as possible.

Nike is 100% right, Actually, there is no problem with the evaporator or cooling system, the problem is with defrosting as the ice is accumulating near the coil and blocking the complete air flow, also that is creating humming noise as accumlated ice is getting hit by fan blades.
    My suggestion,

1. Check for Fan axis, as inclined fan may cause ice accumlation on coil.
    2. No deforst function lead for ice accumlation
    3.Dont open the door as it will lead for furthur accumlation because of humidity transfer from ambient air.

Please reply with defrost system, as it is timer based or PCB controlled.

Also check for thermostat setting as it will also increase the amplitude of your prob.
    Also your Freezer is also giving you less cooling but as without measurement you can not make out difference between -10 and -20.
    Thanks
    Amit

mate if you had a solid block of ice over your drain pan in freezer this is your problem, its a cheap design fridge and commonly happens here that the drains ice up after a period of time then every defrost the ice builds and eventually blocks your return air vents for the fridge section thus allowing air in but no air out and not completing your air circuit, i would do exactly wat you suggested ... make a habit if checking drain tray (outside of fridge) for moisture when this drys up do your shut down for 2 days, if i had a dollar for every time ive seen this fault i wouldnt be still fixin fridges lol, some companys have a field fix which involves drain heaters etc but are often in my experience un succesfull, moniter your fridge and if you loose cooling in 2-3 weeks again if ice is on your coil you have a defrost prob, if ice in drain again call company and see if field fix avail and approx cost good luck sounds like its not a major fault anyways