United States Economy / UK Economy

Are things getting as bad as they are in the US, thousands upon thousands of people losing their jobs, homes daily... having to scrimp and save where ever you can just to make ends meet. I think we are in for a long hard road ahead of us, and if you have a job, you better keep because you don't know how long it will take you to find a new one. With the supposed stimulus / economic packages I think we are headed back to the depression days of the 30's... Its a wonder I can still sleep at night.

Re: United States Economy / UK Economy

Not too bad in my field (mainly industrial air compressors) although a few of our larger customers are cutting back. A big one closed the other week: Grampian country pork. They provided work for two guys on a regular basis.
    Luckily my boss has minimal overheads, he owns the company premises and land and bought the company vehicles outright. He doesn`t carry passengers either, if you don`t pay your way you`re out.
    Can`t think how i`m still there then!

The economic crises doe's not spare any country.
    People are loosing everything they have worked for in seconds.

Big companies are more likely to get crashed and disappear from from the map but small businesses with a few good workers have better chances now, being more flexible and having the ability of changing directions quickly.

Lots of unrest re "foreign" workers taking brit jobs in the construction industry.Also finding that due to the weakness of the £ spares and equipment imported is becomung more expensive.OK myself as I'm no longer chasing work jusdt plodding towards retirement,well partial as the pension isn;t worth a s---e so will carry on to suplement it,hey ho,thats life.

I am finding a lot of work is delayed, postponed or at worst cancelled, because clients are sitting on projects and waiting to see what happens. This attitude is compounding the financial situation. Even the domestic market, people have the money but are waiting. So the whole money-go-round falls flat on its face. Look at the fall in petrol prices after all the future traders were put out of a job. I feel the whole thing started years ago when the Clinton Admin/ Govt, insisted on getting people into their own homes at what ever the cost. Now we are all paying the price. My question has been , "where has all the money gone, the squillions of US dollars, did it actually exist or was it paper money "?
    Everyone has to start spending, to stimulate all economies, hell I'll go and buy a six-pack on the way home.
    magoo