How to read lables

Hi, can any one help me with an easy solution. I have been working on domestic refrigeration for around 8 years now and have always gased them up using my manafold gauges (r134a and 600a) i have just got a new job regassing comercial machines, nothing to big just up to double doors drinks chillers, now when i get them (all diferent) i just get the unit with out the evap fans mostly, so i need to start weighting the refrigerant in but dont totaly understand the lables (no one there knows any thing about regassing so cant ask) things like 35/10 on preasure and some for weight just have 7.5 ????? now i know thats not kg and wouldnot think its pounds
    The only gas i use is 134a there
    And also they have nitrogen that i have never used

So any info would be greatfully appreiceated

Re: How to read lables

7.5 ounces would be about 213 grams. Sounds about right for a small system.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brian m w View Post
    but dont totaly understand the lables (no one there knows any thing about regassing so cant ask) things like 35/10 on preasure and some for weight just have 7.5 ????? now i know thats not kg and wouldnot think its pounds
    Ounces probably!
    7.5=212 gr which is probably OK for that size of equipment?

35/10 is more likely 35/100 psia

Nitrogen is used for leak and pressure testing and during brazing, to stop formation of oxides inside tube which could clog capillary tube,filter-drier and help in acid formation in oil.
    Last edited by nike123; 04-02-2009 at 11:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Again double post. I am really pi ss ed with this!
    Last edited by nike123; 04-02-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Also, I'm confused by what you say about the refrigerants you use.
    Commercial cases may be using R134a, R404a, R507, R22 or any number of other gasses (but not nitrogen)
    If you put the wrong gas in the system you could stuff the compressor.
    Also, if by regassing you mean the case is short of gas, I hope you're fixing the leak and evacuating the system?

Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    Also, I'm confused by what you say about the refrigerants you use.
    Commercial cases may be using R134a, R404a, R507, R22 or any number of other gasses (but not nitrogen)
    If you put the wrong gas in the system you could stuff the compressor.
    Also, if by regassing you mean the case is short of gas, I hope you're fixing the leak and evacuating the system?

As i said i have been doing this for years, just never had to use the information plates before.

The only gas i use there is 134a as this is the only one they suply, and the only gas that the machines take. I aslo know diferent gasses apart, plus the laws on safe handling gasses. So yes i do look for leaks as no point in regassing otherwise. I have used the odd vac pump in my time, and have recovered the odd drop or two of refrigerant. Domestic and comercial are the same after all, all work on the same principle , you know 4 basic parts and a sealed system...

Quote Originally Posted by nike123 View Post
    Ounces probably!
    7.5=212 gr which is probably OK for that size of equipment?

35/10 is more likely 35/100 psia

Nitrogen is used for leak and pressure testing and during brazing, to stop formation of oxides inside tube which could clog capillary tube,filter-drier and help in acid formation in oil.

Many thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by brian m w View Post
    As i said i have been doing this for years, just never had to use the information plates before.

The only gas i use there is 134a as this is the only one they suply, and the only gas that the machines take. I aslo know diferent gasses apart, plus the laws on safe handling gasses. So yes i do look for leaks as no point in regassing otherwise. I have used the odd vac pump in my time, and have recovered the odd drop or two of refrigerant. Domestic and comercial are the same after all, all work on the same principle , you know 4 basic parts and a sealed system...
    No offence meant Brian. I found your original post to be a bit confusing so was just covering the bases.
    I suppose that when you get down to it there's not that much difference between a domestic refrigerator and a rack of 6 6 cylinder Bitzer semihermetics controlled by an RMCC controller with 120Kg of R404a running a supermarket full of cases and rooms
    Oh, and make sure you use a proper reg with that Nitro mate. If you missuse it, it can take your head off.

Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    No offence meant Brian. I found your original post to be a bit confusing so was just covering the bases.
    I suppose that when you get down to it there's not that much difference between a domestic refrigerator and a rack of 6 6 cylinder Bitzer semihermetics controlled by an RMCC controller with 120Kg of R404a running a supermarket full of cases and rooms
    Bet you cant put a fruit pastle in your mouth with out chewing it lol
    So i take it that they dont have the 4 basics Compressor, evap, condensor and metering device

Oh, and make sure you use a proper reg with that Nitro mate. If you missuse it, it can take your head off.
    Was married for 14 years so not new to that either