Thread: hard start kit

hard start kit

I have an Arctic Air refrigerator in my vending trailer that I won't start when the air is running. Someone else I know had the same problem so they put me on to these hard start capacitors. While attempting to install it I couldn't locate a capacitor for the compressor. Its a Embraco EGU85HLP compressor and it has a yellow and a white wire going to it. Can I install the 2 wire capacitor to these 2 wires or am I out of luck?

Thanks,

Murray

Re: hard start kit

Murray,
    How many wires (if any) has the hard start capacitor got? Who is the manufacturer. I'm wondering if its a combined relay/overload/capacitor unit.

Have you considered that low volts might be the problem...you mention 'when the air is on' ....is this airconditioning? .....how do you power your trailer.....via a long extension power lead? or perhaps from a generator?

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Hi Murray and welcome to the forum.

This pdf file from Embraco may help with your wiring...
    http://www.embraco.com.br/portugue/produtos/05005.pdf

also they have more technical documents available if needed....
    http://www.embraco.com/ingles/produt...s%20T%E9cnicas
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

It has just 2 leads and the directions say to piggyback it the run capacitor. I'm trying to run this off a generator that has a 23.3 amp @ 120 volt rated plug. It runs fine by itself but not with the air on.

Thanks again,

Murray

Hi Murray,
    Sorry for delay in getting back to you.

The Generator is the problem. Although they state a certain output, which on the face of it will supply both units on their 'stated power requirements', in reality motor equipment requires a huge surge of power on startup, which the generator is unable to supply, especially when already supplying other equipment. This is like a 'brown out' .....ie voltage drop. Your generator must 'grunt' !!!

The hard start units that we can purchase over here in UK, are branded SUPCO....which is an american company, so I would imagine that they are available over there. You will obviously need 120v rated ones.

The units that I had in mind incorporate a capacitor, a relay and an overload.
    Your equipment compressor will have an overload and a start relay. The overload will possibly be internal but most likely external. The kits come with instructions an have 5 connecting wires. 2 line in and 3 to connect to the compressor. You will need to know the h.p. rating of your compressor in order to buy the correct kit.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Electrocoolman; 03-08-2008 at 12:40 PM.