VegetableMatter Guest

Defrost disconnect

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site. And I'm a machinist, not a refrigeration/ac guy, although I have a basic understanding. I want to convert a chest type freezer to a refrigerator and run it off of solar panels, batteries, inverter, etc.. I find information on how to do everything except for how to disconnect the defroster. I found where one guy tried to disconnect his but when he did his compressor would not run. I assume it was from lack of understanding of the system. Can I expect to be able to disconnect it without encountering other problems? Do we have to get make and model specific?

thanks,
    dean

VegetableMatter Guest

Re: Defrost disconnect

Ideally, I would convert it to 12 volts, but that would require a different style compressor. I'm told the refrigerators of the 50's had the appropriate type compressor.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by VegetableMatter View Post
    Can I expect to be able to disconnect it without encountering other problems? Do we have to get make and model specific?
    Hi Dean and welcome.

Maybe, maybe not but having the name and model number of the unit that you are working on makes life SO much easier for the rest of us
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

VegetableMatter Guest

Let me start over. What I would really like to have is a refrigerator that runs off of 12 volts. My second choice is a 110v unit that runs off an inverter. I'm told the old refrigerators have a separate compressor and motor.And that converting to 12 volts is a matter of substituting a 12 volt motor and a few switches. These old fridges are not plentiful. I thought today that maybe I could replace the compressor and motor in a newer fridge with a similar type compressor, and then add a 12v motor. Is there a compressor available to do something like this? And how would I size it? The old York/Tecumseh compressors used on cars, way overkill? I believe the smallest one they made was 6 cubic inch.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Hi again, try the 12/24 volt dc compressor from Danfoss...

http://www.danfoss.com/Products/Prod...%26dyn_lang%3d
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015