PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing a Walk-in Freezer

rickmor
18-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Can anyone suggest the best way to waterproof the floor of a walk-in freezer? I'm afraid that moisture might leak into the joints of floor panel and cause problems such as mold growth. The room only handles foot traffic and not forklifts. The joints have been siliconed but it looks to be peeling off, so I'm looking for a better solution. Thanks.

goodguy
18-09-2007, 06:55 PM
The best way is to use a rubberized caulking such a Butyl between the floor panels during assembly. Then of course have silicon on top of the joints.
Moisture problems in freezers are usually on the outside of the panels do to condensation. If the freezer is air tight the box is should not sweat.
Moisture build up inside a freezer (ice, snow)from something like the door being open is best cleaned up with a broom and dust pan, after all if the freezer is working you shouldn't have water problems.
hope this helps
Goodguy

sihombing
19-09-2007, 06:21 AM
Try this link,
taken from prev. posting

http://www.hvacindia.com/journals/2002apr/article02.html

br,
sihombing

kaelte_technik
19-09-2007, 09:12 AM
There must be some breathing space in between the finish floor line and the insulated floor panel and this can be done by laying waterproof wooden planks say about 1.00'' thick and 2'' wide. This will enable the floor to be dry at all times. If the floor will be recessed you must install perforated pvc pipes under the flooring with gravel before the finish floor plus insulation and polyethylene vapour barrier plus reinforced concrete as the finish flooring.

Kaeltetechnik

smpsmp45
19-09-2007, 10:11 AM
We provide a curb wall with a provision of a beak angle. That takes care of all the issues. What ever other methods we tried, were nver succesful. But i am talking about the RCC floor. I can send you some drawing & details if you send me your mail address on my private mail

Bones74
24-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Is the freezer on grade? Or is there a heat source under the freezer that is conducting? More that likely the box is shifting and the seams are breaking causing air gaps. Major issues. When that water freezes it will be a huge problem.

kaelte_technik
25-10-2007, 09:52 AM
In that case you must use heating mat for the entire floor area ofthe coldroom. If I remember it right there is a european made with brand name "kloeffer"

Best regards,

Kaeltetechnik

gwapa
04-11-2007, 02:27 AM
Hi kaelte_technik
It is not a good idea to perforate the PVC pipe used to heat up the under floor
A perforated PVC pipe will cause a lot a problems in the future.

it will plug up the heating pipe with earth and sand
you will weak the graund with the time and the floor will sinkRegards
Gwapa