PDA

View Full Version : Heads up! it's July 4th 2007

Argus
04-07-2007, 04:59 PM

The brief note below was sent to me by DEFRA as a general heads-up about the new F Gas regulations that take full effect today.

Even though the Commission has not yet decided the full detail, (which should have been done by now) about leakage checking and the necessary qualifications to carry them out, plus any repairs, the note below makes it clear that the requirements are in effect regardless.

My understanding is that the minimum requirement for handling refrigerant will be C&G 2078 or CITB Certificate and a demonstration that whatever leakage check method you employ is effective and is recorded. A sample of the log-book format is available in the supplementary guidance note on DEFRA’s web site. All this may change when the Commission publishes the leakage check requirements and the minimum qualifications, probably later this year.

A consultation on the offences and penalties is still underway until August 14th, 2007.

NOTE FROM DEFRA

EC Regulation No842/2006 on certain fluorinated greenhouse gases

The principal objective of the EC Regulation is to prevent and thereby reduce emissions of F Gases covered by the Kyoto Protocol.

Obligations coming into force on 4 July will have direct effect on those affected without any further legislation by the Government.

Containment and recovery
Key requirements include leakage checking and repair by certified personnel (Article 3) and proper recovery by certified personnel (Article 4). Sectors affected include (article 3) stationary commercial and domestic refrigeration, air conditioning, heat pump and fire protection sectors as well as (Article 4) the recovery of F gases from these systems as well as from equipment containing fluorinated greenhouse gas based solvents and high voltage switchgear and mobile equipment (where this is technically feasible and does not entail disproportionate cost).

The containment and recovery articles in the F Gas Regulation (Articles 3 and 4) will have an impact on operators of relevant systems (typically a company) that will have a range of obligations including record keeping and ensuring certified personnel are used.

Reporting
The Regulation will also have an impact on producers, importers and exporters of F gases if they produce, import or export more than 1 tonne of F gases per annum as there is a requirement in the Regulation to report to the Commission and member States’ competent authorities on the amounts produced, imported or exported. The first report has to be submitted to the Commission by 31 March 2008.

Placing on the market/use bans
Specific uses of F gases and products that contain F gases are controlled or banned by the Regulation. These are set out in Articles 8 and 9 and cover certain uses of sulphur hexafluoride for magnesium die-casting, use of certain F gases in non-refillable containers, fire protection systems, tyres, one component foams, novelty aerosols, footwear and windows and self-chilling cans well as placing on the market prohibitions of specific products containing, or whose function relies upon, F gases.

Upcoming requirements
Several stakeholder bodies are continuing to assist Defra/DTI with the work being led by the European Commission to develop minimum qualification requirements for relevant sectors that will apply from 4/7/08 subject to transitional arrangements (which may run through to 2011 for most sectors). Stakeholders are also providing assistance in relation to Commission proposals for labelling and reporting. The labelling requirement will not come into force until the label has been agreed and a date specified for its application to products placed on the market (currently likely to be about mid-2007).

More information
The Government is continuing to work with stakeholders to ensure that the F Gas regulation is successfully implemented and its environmental objectives achieved. In this context, Defra is currently consulting on Regulations prescribing offences and penalties applicable to infringements of the EC Regulation. These are likely to come into force in November. The consultation can be accessed using the following link:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/f-gas/index.htm

Further information on the F Gas Regulation and how it is being implemented in the UK, including guidance and frequently asked questions, is available on the Defra website at the following link:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/climatechange/uk/fgas/index.htm

July 2007

Brian_UK
04-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Oh and I thought you were going to ask for the Americas to be returned :)

djbe
04-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks Argus, really usefull info.:)

I sent all of my relevent customers a letter at the start of the year warning that it was coming and what their obigations were likely to be.

And the number that got back to me to help get their procedures in order? Only one:eek:

I think I may call the rest over the next few days just to see what they have done about it.:D

Any idea how it is going to be controlled i.e how are the authorities going to know who operates plant of a size that needs to comply? And therefore check that they are complying with the legislation.

regards,
djbe.

Argus
04-07-2007, 08:26 PM
I sent all of my relevent customers a letter at the start of the year warning that it was coming and what their obigations were likely to be.

Well, you did the right thing.

We don’t know yet how it will be policed and who will do it – probably the Environment agency.

But the obligation to get the checks done rests fair and square with the operator (or owner).

The main thing at the moment is the realisation that all service companies will need to put their houses in order and all service technicians are suitably qualified. At the moment it is the safe handling, but is likely to require a lot more over the next four or five years.
And, it's in place now.

NH3LVR
04-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Oh and I thought you were going to ask for the Americas to be returned :)

I notice the Title of the thread and was going to make a comment, but restrained myself.

For those of you not aware this is an American Holiday called Independence Day.

If you are an American, it celebrates our Independence from England.

If you are English it celebrates (according to my English Friends) getting rid of us freeloaders.:):)

However in the Spirit of English/American friendship, we have some Politicians we would be glad to return to you.:D

djbe
04-07-2007, 08:53 PM
we have some Politicians we would be glad to return to you.:D

Now they are the kind of "freeloaders" we definately don't want back.:D:D

Thanks for the kind offer though, it's the thought that counts.

monkey spanners
05-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I've got my f gas compliance kit from SRW. Its a sticker and a permanent marker:cool:

Jon