PDA

View Full Version : Manitowoc QD0602A

stu9334@aol.com
25-06-2007, 02:49 AM
I have a problem with a Manitowoc QD0602A ice machine. It was working fine and then the water leading to the machine was shut off for about 5 hours. When the water was turned back on the machine would not make ice again. It appears to run through the wate purge cyle, the water fill starts, and the compressor kicks on. A short time after the compressor kicks on, it stops and after a while it restarts the above mentioned cyle. I am not machanic or technician but and help you have would be greatly appreciated.

thebigcheese
25-06-2007, 10:04 PM
does it start to freeze then makes a hissing noise?

stu9334@aol.com
25-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Its does not make a hissing noise.

However, today I had my mechanic look into it more. He noticed (as did myself) that the fan was not turning on. I asuumed that the fan cycled on and off like on the radiator in your car. My mechanic manually spun the fan while the compressor was on and the fan started working, and then it started making ice. We are not sure if this was the problem but we are going to change the fan tomorrow.

Could running the machine without water have cause the fan to not be able to start up on its own?

Stuart

-andy-
29-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Hi There
You said you spun the fan and it started working this could be a capacitor problem if it has one fitted for the fan motor. The fan is controlled by a Pressure switch usually mounted on the pipework of the condenser. I have had these switches faulty before and you can test these by shorting together the two wires that push onto the top of the switch, With the power off of course. The fan normally starts and stops whilst the compressor is running if the switch is working ok.

goodguy
30-06-2007, 03:37 AM
Check out the manitowoc website and Get in touch with company. These ice machines are really geared toward being user and technician friendly. They will gladly send you a manual or help over the phone.

Shawn_L
18-10-2007, 04:22 AM
Manitowoc Q602 ice machine never use a capacitor to start the fan motor. Usually the fan motor kicks on 1 minute after turn swich to ice. Maybe your machanic spun the fan at the right time, otherwise I can't find any reason.

Running the machine without water is harmful for the compressor, don't affect the fan cycle control.