PDA

View Full Version : Brazing copper pipe

Lowrider
24-05-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm working on a chiller, replacing the compressors after another company replaced the evaporator but didn't vacuum the system and left water in the system.

Up on inspection of the system I found he had "welded" the suction line from the evap to the compressors. Hereby i mean, he just stuck the pipes cold to each other and brazed the pipes together.

I've added a few pictures, but don't know if they are clear! I know what i'm looking at, so for me it is clearer!

Must give the guy some credit, since he managed to get it shut and for daring to do it this way!

The Viking
25-05-2007, 12:55 AM
Hopefully there wont be any vibration on that pipe!

ernestlin
25-05-2007, 07:54 AM
The pipe looks horrible!! I doubt it's a professional guy's work..It's a big problem that there's some water left in the system, so you'd better to dry and flush the system by nitrogen as soon as possible, and vaccum it more than 2 times and make a pressure maintaining test for 12 hours...May be this issue can be solved.

Lowrider
25-05-2007, 05:12 PM
We've removed all the old refrigirant and are going to put new in! We made schraeders in the 3 headers of the condensor and blocked the liquid line. After 6 vacuuming sessions and blowing nitrogen through in between the condensor is dry! Did the same with the new evaporator they putted in, this is also dry! Yesterday and today we've replaced the compressors and piping, including the creative solution by the other company, pressure tested it and now it's on the vacuumpump until thuesday and we'll do a final standtime test while refitting the wiring etc!