PDA

View Full Version : evaporator fans

jayjay
24-05-2007, 02:21 AM
Hey guys you have helped me in the past with different questions. And as I read some of the post I know I'm at refrigeration 101 so bear with me.
I spent two hours defrosting one in my cooler. So it gave me time to think. I have several units three of them are hot gas defrost (freezers) and the rest defrost when they shut off (coolers) on timers. wouldn't it make more sence if the fans shut off for the defrost cycle? wouldn't the coils defrost faster if they didn't have a fan blowing cold air on them? The frezzer unit is actually blowing hot air around the unit. That we then need to cool back down.
Thanks

NH3LVR
24-05-2007, 03:11 AM
jayjay:
The cooler units you refer too are most likley AIR DEFROST. The fans continue to run during the defrost cycle, using the room air to melt the frost.
As to the freezers, if the fans do not shut off during the hot gas portion of the cycle, you have a problem. It could be the original installation, a fused contact, ot other electrical problems. But they MUST shut off, or the entire room warms as you have noted.

Paul@paulrobert
24-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Fans inm afreezer should definetly shut down when the defrost cycle starts and ideally they should only start when the evap coil has cooled to an acceptable temp after the defrost cycle it sounds to me as though you have a wiring problem on your freezer that wants immediate attention

jayjay
30-05-2007, 04:14 AM
Thanks it only made sence to me. I will get it checked out.